Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Larger families in tiny houses?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

Mobile Photo

I see people here say that if you have less than X number of square footage, can't have a bedroom for each individual child, etc... that you shouldn't have more children. Here's a little bit of housing history.

"The first North American homes were very small, one room, one-storey structures that were based on European building techniques, and adapted to the building materials, climatic conditions, and topography of the New World. The majority of these structures had less than 450 square feet of space, but were eventually remodelled and enlarged over time. Through the middle years of the 18th century, older houses everywhere were added to and vigorously remodelled, with room heights rising a foot or more. Parlours were added to the homes of well-off farmers and other gentry.

Some large homes did exist in the 1800s. Ranging between 2200 and 2800 square feet, or about the size of a good-sized suburban home today....

It comes as no surprise that houses have grown in size and cost over the years. At the beginning of the last century, the average home was 700 to 1200 square feet. In 1950, the average home was 1000 square feet, growing to an average size of 2000 square feet in 2000. Costs in 1900 were about $5000; $11000 in 1950; and $200,000 last year. An interesting fact revealed in a National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) report is that although homes have grown in size, lot sizes have begun to significantly decrease in size. In 1990, the average lot size was 14,680 square feet. Just eight years later, the average lot size was 12,870. In its profile of a typical new home in 2010, the report suggests that the average lot size will shrink by another 1000 square feet while house size will increase to 2200 or more square feet...."

http://www.moyak.com/papers/house-sizes.html

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurtleMami
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Okie dokie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM
That's my post. I'm showing this to my husband. He thinks you need a big house to have more than one kid.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

LOL are house is smaller than the avg. in 1975.  Our house was built in 1952.

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

My dad shared with my 2 uncles.  My aunt had her own room.  My mom shared for 4 sisters, uncle had his own room.  Both houses were 1200sq ft.  Both had a single bath - my mom's parents finally put bath number two in when she and her sister were in high school (they were the oldest).  FWIW - both houses were considered large for the early 50's.

Now most people are buying those houses for lots and putting up McMansions because they don't want to see their smaller families.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM
We live in a 2bd trailer with 5 people. About to buy a 3bd and build 2 extra rooms when its paid off in 4yrs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM
It's a little more cramped, but completely doable.

Quoting Anonymous: That's my post. I'm showing this to my husband. He thinks you need a big house to have more than one kid.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read that other post. People's expectations or perceptions have changed so much, and many believe they are too good for good,old fashioned simplicity. If its not the newest or biggest, then it's "trashy".
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM
My mom grew up with 6 other siblings. They lived in a 3 bedroom house built in the early 1900's when my great grandparents immigrated from Germany.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

My dad shared with my 2 uncles.  My aunt had her own room.  My mom shared for 4 sisters, uncle had his own room.  Both houses were 1200sq ft.  Both had a single bath - my mom's parents finally put bath number two in when she and her sister were in high school (they were the oldest).  FWIW - both houses were considered large for the early 50's.

Now most people are buying those houses for lots and putting up McMansions because they don't want to see their smaller families.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

We have multiple kids in a bedroom willingly. We have enough bedrooms for them to have their own, but choose to save those as guest rooms or repurpose them and have one boys room and one girls room, at least until the kids are teenagers. I think it's important for kids to learn how to share space. They have their own areas and they have privacy when they need it, but we are a close family. You have no idea how many friends I have going to college or getting married or moving out and getting roommates who have no clue how to live with other people. 

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM

FWIW - we had 6 people (3 adults, 3 children) in a 1400sq ft home and a dog :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)