Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Don't Understand This

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies

I'm going to start off by saying that my family only brings in about 1700$ after taxes.  I guess it's fair to say that we are poor.  What I don't understand is how a family who makes 2X or more than my family can be broke.  We have full rent, a car payment, car insurance, medical and dental (which we don't really use), internet/cable, smart phones.  Our daughter is in ballet and AWANA.  We often only come out with 100-200 extra every month after bills, gas and food.  Our housing costs are oover half our income if you include electricity/water/garbage (no sewer, on septic).

I really feel like people who make 2X or more than we do and complain of being broke are just living beyond their means.  If you can't afford a 350$ a month car payment, GET A CHEAPER CAR!!  If you can't afford your mortgage, GET A SMALLER OR CHEAPER HOUSE!!  I can understand if these financial obligations happened before a job loss or pay cut but why do people complain of being in debt when they put themselves there? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

They spend their money on frivolous stuff that is not needed first then they pay their bills with whatever they have left......but that is just my opinion

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Often,as your income increases, so do you expenses. $1700 a month would barely cover my mortgage, without counting heat, water, etc.

Then again, I'm not broke. Some people are not good with money.
Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM
I don't get it either. Scale back or quit griping.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM
First
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I have always wondered the same thing. we are a family of 4 and we live off $1600 a month. things are sometimes a little tight. but we do just fine. we are able to pay all our bills just fine. we just don't have money for many extras. but we know so many people that make way more than we do and are constantly broke and struggling. it just doesn't make any sense. if we can make it on less, how can you not make it on more? you are obviously living beyond your means.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in a shack at 2,100/mo. Guess what? Cost of living varies depending on where you live.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I think that people just lose track so to speak. I agree w/you, it's them living beyond their means. I think sometimes people lose site of the bigger picture.

Light.Shine
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

They're trying to keep up with the Jones's.  I don't really get it either.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Difference in cost of living and having more children than you do could affect their income. It's not that hard to understand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM
I agree, and you really put things in perspective for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN