Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm so tired of hearing excuses for autistic kids...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 392 Replies
17 moms liked this

If you can't handle your sn child, get some help so you can.....making excuses and pooh poohing bad behavior due to a problem like that is not helping the child or you.  

'Oh johnny can't possibly help clean up, he's autistic, and he'll have a melt down'

'My child gets up early and destroys the house but i can't be bothered to get up and supervise'

'Oh we can't possibly go there because I can't handle Johnny in that setting'

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:32 AM
7 moms liked this
Yep. I think they want pity from people for their 'son' kid and they are actually hurting the kid. What kind of life will these kids have when mommy and daddy cuddle them so much.
Anonymous
10 moms liked this

Some autistic kids cannot help their behaviour....and even if they can, it may very well take a long time to change behaviours.    Something like 40% of people with ASD have an IQ under 70.

Changing the behaviour of any autistic person (but particulalry a moderate-to severe one) is very , very difficult.  It might be impossible. 

OTOH, yes, I hear people make excuses for very high functioning kids and it is frustrating.  It is also not my business.  

Anonymous
22 moms liked this

I got "sorry my son choked your child but he doesn't know better he has Autism and ADD (OR ADHD I dont remember)." Um by 3rd grade he should know better and if he cant keep his hands off of others he should not be in a regular classroom.

sarasunshine99
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM
61 moms liked this

My children are not autistic, however I follow the mantra of "until you walk a mile in their shoes...".

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

didnt you already post this? I remember reading this. This is a repeat

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM
37 moms liked this

I don't make excuses for my ASD child, but do you have any idea how long it takes to modify behaviors even with therapy?  It's a process.  

And there are some situations that I know my child does not handle well and will not set him up for failure.  

Pick up a book, for the love of Mike.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

If a child does something that is disruptive or unsafe, they need to be removied from the environment - even if they "don't know any better."

My newphew with severe autism does not know any better with regards to agression- I still don't leave him alone with my kids.  

Quoting Anonymous: I got "sorry my son choked your child but he doesn't know better he has Autism and ADD (OR AS HE I dont remember)." Um by 3rd grade he should know better and if he cant keep his hands off of others he should not be in a regular classroom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM
8 moms liked this
I have a friend thay has a 10 yr old very autistic daughter that is one of the best behaved kids i know. my friend has always treated her like a "normal" kid with consequences for her actions. i can't stand when ppl allow their kid to be a brat because they are "special" all that does is teach the child they can do anything and blame it on the disabilities
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:38 AM
4 moms liked this
My cousin's son(8 years old) punched my 2 year old in the face on Christmas because my 2 year old wouldn't share his new train. And instead of dealing with her son she tried to play it off as if it was my child ( who had just turned 2 so admittedly hadn't grasped the concept of sharing yet, as isnnormal for a 2 year old) fault! I told her to leave and learn to control her kid
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:38 AM
17 moms liked this

Many "settings" cause children and adults with autism a great deal of stress and anxiety.  Children with autism aren't badly behaved....they have serious struggles with severe anxiety......I can't ask my stepson to go and clean up his toys, he doesn't understand because even though he is almost 12, he operates and understand that of what an 18 month old baby would and he is 100% non-verbal.  He will clean up though....you just have to tell him step by step and toy by toy and sometimes you even have to use hand over hand to help him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)