Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O - If you see a starving child...

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you do anything about it, or walk on by?

If you see a child being beaten with fists - do you do something, or walk on by?

If you see a child fall into a body of water and begin drowning - do you do something or turn your back?

In my other post, there were multiple answers that went something like "not my child, not my problem", or "I'm only concerned with the safety of my own child".

Personally, I find that line of thinking mind boggling, and am curious how far that lack of caring goes. Does it only apply to toddlers without car seats, or to every situation? Is there a time when the fact that it isn't your child is something you're willing to overlook?
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I have never seen any of these first hand.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM
3 moms liked this
I get involved every time. Maybe because I am older and I remember when other adults thought every child was their business and the parents were fine with that for the most part. I don't understand people who say oh its not my child, I don't care.
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

The only thing I have experience with is a drowning child. I was a lifeguard, I've dove in many times....

Reddawn75
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM
I would do anything to help a child even if it was a strangers child or depending on the situation report the parents to DHR if I thought abuse was going on or neglected.
DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:21 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with you being "older". I'm 27 and can't imagine allowing bad things to happen to children because I'm "minding my own business".

Maybe location? I honestly don't know.

Quoting bleumonster: I get involved every time. Maybe because I am older and I remember when other adults thought every child was their business and the parents were fine with that for the most part. I don't understand people who say oh its not my child, I don't care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM
I've seen it on here too. I remember a mom saying her dh was a principle at the school and expected her dh to only protect her children if there was a shooting. I think she wanted him to leave the school, if something like that were to happen.
Anyway, I don't get that mentality either.
catcameback
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends what it is.   

Toddler not in a carseat is not the same thign as a toddler actively drowning.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Starving?  Yes.  Beaten with fists (or just beaten with anything)?  Yes.  Falling into the water?  Yes.  

Not in a car seat?  Well, I'd call the police, if I were in a country where anyone gives a damn about that.  But, these days, I'm not.  Here, it does me no good to give advice.  I'd be treated as a meddler and, most likely, screamed at.  I'm not interested in dealing with that.  I see unrestrained children in cars every day here.  I do nothing.  I know people who do not, will not restrain their child in a car.  They think I am an overreacting idiot for doing so with my kids.  It's simply not a battle I choose to fight.  Not here.

DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Where are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting inspain:

Starving?  Yes.  Beaten with fists (or just beaten with anything)?  Yes.  Falling into the water?  Yes.  

Not in a car seat?  Well, I'd call the police, if I were in a country where anyone gives a damn about that.  But, these days, I'm not.  Here, it does me no good to give advice.  I'd be treated as a meddler and, most likely, screamed at.  I'm not interested in dealing with that.  I see unrestrained children in cars every day here.  I do nothing.  I know people who do not, will not restrain their child in a car.  They think I am an overreacting idiot for doing so with my kids.  It's simply not a battle I choose to fight.  Not here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Based on user id I'm thinkng Spain. ;)

Quoting DusterMommy: Where are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Quoting inspain:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)