Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If it makes me a bad person then so be it, but

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 79 Replies
I'm not really comfortable with giving blood.

My neice, who is 2, needs a blood transfusion. My blood type would be the type she needs so SIL approached me and asked me if I would mind donating blood. I am not comfortable with giving blood and I'm not comfortable with needles. I have a legit fear. Now MIL and SIL are calling me a bad person.

**edit - they have the option of a blood bank, which was originally what was suggested. Its not like I am their ONLY option.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
http://www.richdemuro.com/home/2014/12/17/how-to-get-a-refund-from-google-play-for-in-app-purchases-your-kids-made-without-your-permission
Today at 12:41 AM
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I wonder if you could donate while knocked out?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Maybe, I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Quoting squeekers:

I wonder if you could donate while knocked out?

mamabear55
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Want to hear something crazy? I wasn't allowed to give blood until a few years ago because I lived in Germany as a child and they were afraid mad cow could still be incubating!

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM
6 moms liked this

Wow. I would give my left lung to my sister's kid if I had too. How sick is she going to be if she doesn't get this blood transfusion. When you say "legit fear" do you mean you hyperventilate and get panic attacks? Or do you just "not like" needles? If giving blood will help keep your niece out of the hospital I think its pretty cold for you to refuse.

MonkeyNbug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't like needles or giving blood either, but if my nephews needed my blood (I don't have any nieces) I'd do it in a heartbeat. Screw my fears, kids come first. Hope you can find some way to get over this.
sassygoddess
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I get the whole fear of needles thing, and if it was for a stranger then so be it...this is your niece...deal with it..it only hurts for a second.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM
5 moms liked this

I agree with MIL and SIL. There's no risk to you, yet you won't do a 15 min sacrafice to help family and a kid at that. It's not like they're asking you to give a kidney. 

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

You're not a bad person if you're just scared but it's for your neice, so try to suck it up. :)

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Hey its your body your choice,you can chose to give your neice blood or you can chose not to..... But with that being said, I dont think I could know Im a match for a loved one and not donate.
Christywf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I get what you are saying here.  I would be scared, too!

HOWEVER.....since it's for your neice, I would do it.  Make sure you have a driver afterward IF you choose to do so.

BTW where do you live and what blood type is she?  I am B- and would be willing to donate to her.  (I'm in the Houston area of TX).  PM me if you want. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN