Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you believe dyslexia is real?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies
My dd is being tested for dyslexia at a private learning center because the school refused to give her the dyslexia test and just gave her the normal testing including a iq test...she past everything through school and has a iq of 125...(most dyslexic people pass the normal testing and have average to higher then average IQ's) So we decided to have her specifically tested for dyslexia at a private place so the school will have to supply extra help once she is officially diagnosed...
Anyways after talking with a friend tonight about it and what my dd is going through (struggling really bad in school)...
She told me my dd was just being lazy in school and with a iq of 125 that just proves it and dyslexia was not a real learning issue...

Edit...dd is severely dyslexic and struggles a lot, but she is very intelligent and has some amazing skills including music (singing), gymnastics and art...
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Constant_Reader
by ~ curly mop on top ~ on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Yes it is.
MKA28
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM
My father in law has it really bad. He struggles with writing, and reading. However, he is very intelligent in music, and has an awesome memory. He can recite pages. Dyslexia is real and more common. I believe Albert Einstein was dyslexic. Stay positive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes ma'am. And dyslexic does not equal stupid so yes she can still have an average or above average IQ.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Of course it's real. What an ignorant thing for your friend to say. Even among gifted kids, many are classified as 2E (twice exceptional) - gifted and having another diagnosis of some kind.
elfling811
by Niki on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:16 AM
Yes, it is real. I have it but wasn't diagnosed until 5th grade. It was rough.
Heisenberg
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Your friend is ill informed and ignorant.

I am dyslexic, of course it's real. And it's not that the school refuses to test your daughter, it's that they don't have the means or resources. I suspect my son is dyslexic too, but he's only 3 so we have a long way to go before we get to diagnosing.

Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Yes, I am dyslexic and I can tell you, it is very real.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Dh has it bad and I have it but it's not nearly as bad as dh is.
epuffer
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM

my SO has dyslexia and ive watched him struggle for years

RocknRoll.Rose
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM

I believe in dyslexia. I am dyslexic. Many people do not believe in mental disorders because they cannot be seen under a microscope. I always tested very high on IQ tests, close to the genius level. However I have trouble reading.

Conner

Wyatt and Tabitha

"The baby girl without a chance. A victim of circumstance. The one who ought to give up but she's just too hard headed. A single mom who works two jobs, who loves her kids and never stops, with gentle hands and the heart of a fighter. I'm a survivor"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN