Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sharpie. EVERYWHERE. help :(

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:11 AM
  • 42 Replies
My 3 year old was SUPPOSED to be asleep, he woke up while i was feeding my 5 month old. He told he needed to use the restroom, then a few minutes later came into my room with soap all over his hands and said that he didnt know where his stool was to wash them. I got up to go help him and he found a sharpie god only knows where and drew ALL OVER THE DANG WALLS!!! Omg, i tried acetone, and that was working...unil i ran out. Then i tried some vinegar, and bleach. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this OUT!? Something household perferably, because its already midnight and the boys are sleeping and DH works nights, so i cant get to the store right now. When i cleaned it with the acetone, it was still fresh, will it still come off in the morning once im able to buy more?
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caligirl7613
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:13 AM
try wd40....hair spray as well....ummmmmthe nail polish remover should still work in the AM but you my have to scrub harder or longer....wht color is the walls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Rubbing alcohol.
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Rubbing alcohol works best. Nail polish remover (the kind with acetone) also works in a pinch.
Goo gone works well too but its not really house hold.
I've also used hairspray and that worked as well.
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I've heard that the magic erasers can get it off but I have never tried it myself.

Chandra314
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Eek! Sorry, mama, I've been there.

For smooth surfaces, ie: wooden floors, tables, plastic, dry erase boards, etc, use a dry erase MARKER and cover the sharpie with the marker and then wipe off with paper towel.

For walls, Mr Clean Magic Erasers--are, well, magic. 

Good luck. 

thatonemomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM
I agree with the pp wd40 worked for me :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
munky.wench
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I've used magic erasers in retail and restaurants and have yet to find anything they don't remove. That included maraschino cherry juice months old stained on white counters!

Quoting The_Doodle:

I've heard that the magic erasers can get it off but I have never tried it myself.

epuffer
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM

target brand baby wipes, scarily enough they got sharpie out of my couches even! so now i keep  a pack for my lil artist, some times she gets ahold of a pen or marker if someone is careless and leaves one in her reach

Brielle.Jude
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Thank you! The walls are white, we are living in a rental for a little while until all of our house buying maddness is finalized. So that means we dont have all of our garage stuff like the wd40 i may just have to try the hairspray.

Quoting caligirl7613: try wd40....hair spray as well....ummmmmthe nail polish remover should still work in the AM but you my have to scrub harder or longer....wht color is the walls
cfcf
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Sharpies are water based. They are not actually permanent. Try goo gone. I've used erasers to get sharpies off binders, not sure how it'll work on a wall though.

Goo gone, good off or acetone. Any of those 3 will still work tomorrow, no need to stress tonight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured