Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should an obese student get a bad grade in gym for not participating enough?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 172 Replies
I'm a supply teacher and at the school I work at some of the girls are 14 and is in 9th grade. In gym class, they're required to complete workouts every class for credit. Things like a mile run, a certain number of push-ups, sit-ups, etc. There's no time limit or anything, although those who do extra or exceed the standard/average get extra credit.

There's an extremely obese girl in one class. The teacher said she often starts the run or other activities and gets tired, so she stops and doesn't complete them, even when the teacher asks. So, she's now doing very poorly in gym.

Her mother and livid and doesn't think it's fair. She's booked a meeting with the principal, and this teacher is excited to "basically tell her to fuck off", as the principal is on the teacher's side.

What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this
An obese child can't do the same level of activity as a fit child. Especially if they are not used to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM
18 moms liked this
Why would she deserve a good grade when she's not even trying?

I hope her snowflake, obesity enabling mother gets her ass handed to her. First she let her kid get so obese she can't participate in gym, and now she's fighting to not have her penalized for not trying? Some people shouldn't have kids.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she should try harder to comply, or deserve the failing grade. I grew up with a girl born with one leg and she still tried her hardest in every gym activity that she could possibly participate in. 

AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think any student should get a bad grade for not participating enough,small, medium,large, doesn't matter. My stick skinny dd got a bad grade in gym for refusing the mile run. And she deserved the bad grade, she should have got off her ass.

kristen0812
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
If you don't participate, you fail. That's how it works.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM
4 moms liked this
If she's trying I don't think she should get bad grades. If she just quits and blames it on being overweight that's different. I had to take golf class when I was getting my first degree and I'm horrible at it. I got my grade based on trying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM
4 moms liked this
There's no time limit on completion. Even if it takes her longer, she should be able to eventually complete them. Or, if she wants the credit, she should at least be trying.

Quoting Anonymous: An obese child can't do the same level of activity as a fit child. Especially if they are not used to it.
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
No time limits mean no excuses. It might take her longer and she may need to slow down or stop to rest but she can finish eventually. The only thing I can see her not being able to do would be pull ups.
Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this
If she doesn't finish, she should be graded as such. You can always wall a mile. We had obese people in gym and they all did the work. Sure they took twenty minutes to do the mile, but they did it. I never saw anyone refuse. Sometimes the girls would cry, but they did it.
TheyAreMyLoves
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM
She should complete the tasks. Period.
If it takes her longer, so be it. But complete it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN