Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We live in Greenland so YES our daughter will speak Greenlandic

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
Our daughter is 3 and we have lived in Greenland for going on 6 years now but the rest of my family and Dh's family lives in the United States. Since our daughter is small, we are trying to take advantage of it and we visit the states a lot since we don't have to worry about school yet.

Obviously since we live in Greenland we are teaching our daughter how to speak Greenlandic but we are also teaching her English since we will be moving back to America when Dh's 10 year contract is up with his work. Well anyway, dd speaks mostly Greenlandic. She knows English but she is much more comfortable with Greenlandic.

Anyway, we are staying with Dh's mom all this month and she has been majorly annoying me! She does not speak Greenlandic at all and sometimes dd will say stuff to her that she doesn't understand. When dd does this we remind her to use English words but sometimes she just gets excited and forgets. It makes mil so mad if we do not correct her. For instance, if dd isn't really talking about anything important I won't correct her. It's really not worth it for me to make her repeat "my purple dog is so cute" in English. Who cares? She's just rambling like toddlers do lol or if she's telling a story to me, dh, and the inlaws, I usually just let her say it. Talking is hard enough at 3, especially telling long stories, so I'm not going to frustrate her just for the convenience of mil.

It pisses off Mil So bad but it pisses me off that she expects so much from a 3 year old but she won't even consider learning the basics of Greenlandic! She also thinks that we need to make English her main language because she'll live here in America eventually. Um no! She will be going to school there and we have friends there. She needs to speak Greenlandic for now at least. Once she's older she won't have a problem speaking both but she's 3 for crying out loud.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in America, my kids are only second generation American, dh is 1st generation. His parents a now citzens, but he grew up speaking Spanish first, his parents manily speak spanish. My kids are very fluent, even my son from a previous relationship. I speak barely any spanish.

I don't understand why people are so unwilling to learn other languages.

My dh makes more money as a nurse because he is fluent in spanish Medical terms. We have a friend who speaks Korean and makes more money because of it.
catcameback
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Just a thought from someone who is bilingual and grew up in a biligual country....  It's REALLY rude to speak in a language not everyone present understands, whether what is said is important or not.

Start teaching her manners now in regards to be biligual.  If you are in a group of 10 people and only 1 doesn't speak greenlandic, but everyone speaks english, then you should speak english.  It's manners.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM
I didn't even know that was a language
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
I didn't either

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't even know that was a language
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

"Greenlandic" Is that really what it is call? Oh how fun is to say! Anyway, your kid your choice. I see nothing wrong with a bilingual child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM
okay have you even try to sit down with your MIL and try to teach it to her. You said its only been a month, maybe she needs time
Gwyndolyn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't even know that was a language

I had no idea either, so I looked it up: Greenlandic is an Eskimo‚ÄďAleut language spoken by about 57,000 Greenlandic Inuit people in Greenland.

polkaspots
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you, but the kid is three. Half the time people didn't understand what my three year old was saying in English anyway. At that age a lot of parents are still translating for their children.
So it's good to remind them that not everyone understands, but I'm sure there are times where it's not needed.

Quoting catcameback:

Just a thought from someone who is bilingual and grew up in a biligual country....  It's REALLY rude to speak in a language not everyone present understands, whether what is said is important or not.

Start teaching her manners now in regards to be biligual.  If you are in a group of 10 people and only 1 doesn't speak greenlandic, but everyone speaks english, then you should speak english.  It's manners.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)