Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE. How do you prepare a 4 year old for the taste of wine?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 284 Replies
1 mom liked this
I knew that would get your attention.

My godson who is 4 is being baptized this Sunday and he was asking me what communion tastes like. We use real wine and communion wafers so I told him the wafers taste like paper and the wine tastes like grape juice but burns a bit when you swallow. We also had a talk about making sure not to spit it out if he doesn't like it.

So if you attend church how would you describe what communion tastes like to a small child.

Edit so I don't have to continue to repeat myself.

We are Episcopal. We don't have a first communion persay, we call it conformation and that happens when you're 12-13. Before that you're baptized and as long as you are baptized you are allowed to take communion.

Also for future reference, I can not demand the preacher start serving grape juice. Episcopalians use wine during communion. Not grape juice.

Update today, Sunday.

He did great, he dipped his wafer in the wine and ate it without spitting it out. He behaved so well in church and during the baptism.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM
6 moms liked this
Ummmm....I think wine tastes like crap....I would prepare the kid by telling him he will have an overwhelming urge to throw up.

I'm not the right person to answer this :)
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM
4 moms liked this

We give our children sips from when they are young....we drink a lot of wine and they will too when they're older.  It's not taboo in our home, but we live more traditionally according to our ethnicity rather than to American culture.

mamabear55
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM
20 moms liked this

with a cigarette

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Tell him its bitter.... lol id never force my kid to drink wine. Ihate wine it makes me sick id feel terrible forcing my kid to. Thank god my church uses juice lol
littlemoments99
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM

It tastes terrible. Just tell him to be prepared and just take a very tiny bit, like a small sip. They don't know how much you take. All they see is the glass tip. I always took the tiniest bit, so small I could barely taste it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this
He's not being forced and never will be, that's not what taking communion is about. He WANTS to and asked me what it tastes like. That's it.

Quoting Anonymous: Tell him its bitter.... lol id never force my kid to drink wine. Ihate wine it makes me sick id feel terrible forcing my kid to. Thank god my church uses juice lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
4 moms liked this
Our church (baptist) always had tortillas and juice lol sometimes not even grape. I would just give him a sip at home and a wafer. You can even have him practice the entire ceremony and explain why you do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM
4 moms liked this
Ohh good idea, I'll pick him up a pack today.

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids have always just walked past the wine.

Theres no reason to take it. 

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I would say that its not great, but down the hatch it goes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)