Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE. How do you prepare a 4 year old for the taste of wine?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I knew that would get your attention.

My godson who is 4 is being baptized this Sunday and he was asking me what communion tastes like. We use real wine and communion wafers so I told him the wafers taste like paper and the wine tastes like grape juice but burns a bit when you swallow. We also had a talk about making sure not to spit it out if he doesn't like it.

So if you attend church how would you describe what communion tastes like to a small child.

Edit so I don't have to continue to repeat myself.

We are Episcopal. We don't have a first communion persay, we call it conformation and that happens when you're 12-13. Before that you're baptized and as long as you are baptized you are allowed to take communion.

Also for future reference, I can not demand the preacher start serving grape juice. Episcopalians use wine during communion. Not grape juice.

Update today, Sunday.

He did great, he dipped his wafer in the wine and ate it without spitting it out. He behaved so well in church and during the baptism.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM
We are episcopal and he's not considered too young for communion in our religion.

Quoting MicheleJM:

If it's Catholic then I'd probably let him have only the wafer.  But he's too young to take communion...what other church uses real wine?  In the Catholic faith he would have to attend the classes and take first communion at the age of seven.  So don't even worry about it.  Other churches might be different though.

I've only seen little kids take the wafer.

Buy a small bottle.  Give him a sip.  The church prepared my son with un blessed wafers but I don't think he was given wine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Should I get him a whole box or just a pack to start with? I figure I could wrap it and give it to him as his baptism present.

Quoting mamabear55:

be careful, it's a hard habit to break!

Quoting Anonymous: Ohh good idea, I'll pick him up a pack today.

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Give them a little taste at home

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I know nothing of church stuff, lol, but I agree... grab a small bottle and give him a sip at home. That way, he won't be unpleasantly surprised when the time comes. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

If it's Catholic then I'd probably let him have only the wafer.  But he's too young to take communion...what other church uses real wine?  In the Catholic faith he would have to attend the classes and take first communion at the age of seven.  So don't even worry about it.  Other churches might be different though.

Buy a small bottle.  Give him a sip.  The church prepared my son with un blessed wafers but I don't think he was given wine.

tiniowien
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Odd ours uses grape juice for those that don't want wine 

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

get a carton lol

Quoting Anonymous: Should I get him a whole box or just a pack to start with? I figure I could wrap it and give it to him as his baptism present.

Quoting mamabear55:

be careful, it's a hard habit to break!

Quoting Anonymous: Ohh good idea, I'll pick him up a pack today.

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM
You can buy nilla wafers from the dollar store. I just thought practicing would help. I don't know why but this post made me think of taking my toddler to the dentist the first time. All morning the day before we played dentist to prepare him.

Quoting Anonymous: Well we don't have wafers here, I'll mention letting him try a sip of wine at home to his mom and let her decide if she wants to try that.

Quoting Anonymous: Our church (baptist) always had tortillas and juice lol sometimes not even grape. I would just give him a sip at home and a wafer. You can even have him practice the entire ceremony and explain why you do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not forcing. Forcing would be making him take it. And yes its important not to spit out communion or any food for that matter. That's called manners.

Quoting Anonymous: You said making sure not to spit it out if he doesnt like it. Id call that forcing. Here take this it tastes nasty but you cant spit it out. Lol wow..

Quoting Anonymous: He's not being forced and never will be, that's not what taking communion is about. He WANTS to and asked me what it tastes like. That's it.

Quoting Anonymous: Tell him its bitter.... lol id never force my kid to drink wine. Ihate wine it makes me sick id feel terrible forcing my kid to. Thank god my church uses juice lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM
This post totally reminds me of the time we were at my brother's first holy communion and they wanted all the kids to sip the wine. The looks on their faces were priceless. It was so hard not to laugh.

Maybe let him try a sip and let him know he won't like it at all. Tell him to take the tiniest sip possible :)
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Okay.

I'd probably give him a small sip at home and let him decide if he wants it or not.  We are Catholic; my son usually skips the wine as he hates the taste.  

Quoting Anonymous: We are episcopal and he's not considered too young for communion in our religion.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)