Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE. How do you prepare a 4 year old for the taste of wine?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I knew that would get your attention.

My godson who is 4 is being baptized this Sunday and he was asking me what communion tastes like. We use real wine and communion wafers so I told him the wafers taste like paper and the wine tastes like grape juice but burns a bit when you swallow. We also had a talk about making sure not to spit it out if he doesn't like it.

So if you attend church how would you describe what communion tastes like to a small child.

Edit so I don't have to continue to repeat myself.

We are Episcopal. We don't have a first communion persay, we call it conformation and that happens when you're 12-13. Before that you're baptized and as long as you are baptized you are allowed to take communion.

Also for future reference, I can not demand the preacher start serving grape juice. Episcopalians use wine during communion. Not grape juice.

Update today, Sunday.

He did great, he dipped his wafer in the wine and ate it without spitting it out. He behaved so well in church and during the baptism.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Replies (281-284):
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM
I understand how communion works. It's just a personal preference that I don't want my children having alcohol that young.

Quoting Anonymous: A small sip isn't going to hurt anyone. It's not like you chug the wine. You take a tiny sip or you can dip the communion wafer in the wine.

Quoting KaylinC03: Honestly, I wouldn't let my child drink wine.

I'm pretty shocked at the parents who see nothing wrong with this, honestly.

(and before anyone starts- yes, I'm Christian)
want10more
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Quoting courtp333:

Quoting want10more:

that's YOUR faith, not everyone else's. and communion is not drunkenness. alcohol, served as a sacrament is a sacred blessing, NOT a drunken party.

Quoting courtp333:
Quoting MacIvormom3:

I would not let my child drink wine. Drunkenness is a sin and alcohol destroys families. I am Mormon and we serve water in place of wine when we take the sacrament

Ummm Im pretty sure Mormons can drink grape juice? Water is a weird substitute.

Grape Juice isn't wine. Can you not read?

i can... can YOU? perhaps you should take a second to comprehend a valid yet discordant view before you go on the attack.  

Uhura
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:40 AM

* per se

As for the other, I wouldn't know. The few times I've tasted wine, I couldn't stand it and I don't go to church.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

courtp333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:46 AM

Quoting want10more:

Quoting courtp333:

Quoting want10more:

that's YOUR faith, not everyone else's. and communion is not drunkenness. alcohol, served as a sacrament is a sacred blessing, NOT a drunken party.

Quoting courtp333:
Quoting MacIvormom3:

I would not let my child drink wine. Drunkenness is a sin and alcohol destroys families. I am Mormon and we serve water in place of wine when we take the sacrament

Ummm Im pretty sure Mormons can drink grape juice? Water is a weird substitute.

Grape Juice isn't wine. Can you not read?

i can... can YOU? perhaps you should take a second to comprehend a valid yet discordant view before you go on the attack.  

calm down lady, it just seemed you were implying grape juice to be wine. Your statement is confusing. No need to get your damn panties in a bunch, besides I don't practice christianity because I don't agree with it, if I told you what I did practice you would probably have a heart attack LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)