Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE. How do you prepare a 4 year old for the taste of wine?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I knew that would get your attention.

My godson who is 4 is being baptized this Sunday and he was asking me what communion tastes like. We use real wine and communion wafers so I told him the wafers taste like paper and the wine tastes like grape juice but burns a bit when you swallow. We also had a talk about making sure not to spit it out if he doesn't like it.

So if you attend church how would you describe what communion tastes like to a small child.

Edit so I don't have to continue to repeat myself.

We are Episcopal. We don't have a first communion persay, we call it conformation and that happens when you're 12-13. Before that you're baptized and as long as you are baptized you are allowed to take communion.

Also for future reference, I can not demand the preacher start serving grape juice. Episcopalians use wine during communion. Not grape juice.

Update today, Sunday.

He did great, he dipped his wafer in the wine and ate it without spitting it out. He behaved so well in church and during the baptism.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM
No, everyone dips the wafer in the chalice.

Quoting cybcm:

Well, if my childhood memories are correct, by the time you get it then wine tastes like the backwash of about 50 people.

mamabear55
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

See? now you're thinking!

Start off slow, just a pack. Eventually you will have to switch to weed.

Quoting Anonymous: Should I get him a whole box or just a pack to start with? I figure I could wrap it and give it to him as his baptism present.

Quoting mamabear55:

be careful, it's a hard habit to break!

Quoting Anonymous: Ohh good idea, I'll pick him up a pack today.

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM
My church uses bread and water.
ktwister
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM

We take bread and dip it in grape juice. 

I guess give him a small taste at home.

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell you the truth I would do matzoh crackers as it gives a better sense of the taste.

Quoting Anonymous: You can buy nilla wafers from the dollar store. I just thought practicing would help. I don't know why but this post made me think of taking my toddler to the dentist the first time. All morning the day before we played dentist to prepare him.

Quoting Anonymous: Well we don't have wafers here, I'll mention letting him try a sip of wine at home to his mom and let her decide if she wants to try that.

Quoting Anonymous: Our church (baptist) always had tortillas and juice lol sometimes not even grape. I would just give him a sip at home and a wafer. You can even have him practice the entire ceremony and explain why you do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
True, hmm but I dunno weed gets expensive if you don't live in Colorado with all those pesky laws and such.

Quoting mamabear55:

See? now you're thinking!

Start off slow, just a pack. Eventually you will have to switch to weed.

Quoting Anonymous: Should I get him a whole box or just a pack to start with? I figure I could wrap it and give it to him as his baptism present.

Quoting mamabear55:

be careful, it's a hard habit to break!

Quoting Anonymous: Ohh good idea, I'll pick him up a pack today.

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

cybcm
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Times have changed. Back in my day we all had to take a sip.

Quoting Anonymous: No, everyone dips the wafer in the chalice.

Quoting cybcm:

Well, if my childhood memories are correct, by the time you get it then wine tastes like the backwash of about 50 people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Good idea, I think ill pick that up today and let him try it before Sunday.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Tell you the truth I would do matzoh crackers as it gives a better sense of the taste.

Quoting Anonymous: You can buy nilla wafers from the dollar store. I just thought practicing would help. I don't know why but this post made me think of taking my toddler to the dentist the first time. All morning the day before we played dentist to prepare him.

Quoting Anonymous: Well we don't have wafers here, I'll mention letting him try a sip of wine at home to his mom and let her decide if she wants to try that.

Quoting Anonymous: Our church (baptist) always had tortillas and juice lol sometimes not even grape. I would just give him a sip at home and a wafer. You can even have him practice the entire ceremony and explain why you do it.

JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I tell my kids its yucky, your welcome to have it, or you can take a regular grape juice out of the middle of the tray.  

We don't go to church often, but the church we end up at when we go to make my parents happy also has grape juice for kids, alcoholics and anyone else who wants it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
They changed the rules back during the swine flu epidemic. Its not a hard and fast rule but an unspoken rule that you dip you don't sip.

Quoting cybcm:

Times have changed. Back in my day we all had to take a sip.

Quoting Anonymous: No, everyone dips the wafer in the chalice.

Quoting cybcm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)