Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE. How do you prepare a 4 year old for the taste of wine?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I knew that would get your attention.

My godson who is 4 is being baptized this Sunday and he was asking me what communion tastes like. We use real wine and communion wafers so I told him the wafers taste like paper and the wine tastes like grape juice but burns a bit when you swallow. We also had a talk about making sure not to spit it out if he doesn't like it.

So if you attend church how would you describe what communion tastes like to a small child.

Edit so I don't have to continue to repeat myself.

We are Episcopal. We don't have a first communion persay, we call it conformation and that happens when you're 12-13. Before that you're baptized and as long as you are baptized you are allowed to take communion.

Also for future reference, I can not demand the preacher start serving grape juice. Episcopalians use wine during communion. Not grape juice.

Update today, Sunday.

He did great, he dipped his wafer in the wine and ate it without spitting it out. He behaved so well in church and during the baptism.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
abbyjm2013
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Dobt forget Washington!

Quoting Anonymous: True, hmm but I dunno weed gets expensive if you don't live in Colorado with all those pesky laws and such.

Quoting mamabear55:

See? now you're thinking!

Start off slow, just a pack. Eventually you will have to switch to weed.

Quoting Anonymous: Should I get him a whole box or just a pack to start with? I figure I could wrap it and give it to him as his baptism present.

Quoting mamabear55:

be careful, it's a hard habit to break!

Quoting Anonymous: Ohh good idea, I'll pick him up a pack today.

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Kids do communion in the church we used to attend. But they used grape juice instead of wine. 

And when I was growing up, my lutheran church used real wine, but kids didn't drink it, they just ate the bread. 

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Does he understand what Communion is even about?
mamabear55
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a drug dealer. Not a mean drug dealer, but like a nice one. Like "Hey guys, what's up? Wanna buy some drugs?"

Quoting Anonymous: True, hmm but I dunno weed gets expensive if you don't live in Colorado with all those pesky laws and such.

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting Anonymous: Should I get him a whole box or just a pack to start with? I figure I could wrap it and give it to him as his baptism present.

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Yes and no. In our religion baptism is about the parents and godparents making a promise for the child. First communion comes later and that's when he makes that commitment for himself. He knows that Jesus died for our sins and that the bread and wine represent the body and blood of Christ.

Quoting macbudsmom: Does he understand what Communion is even about?
jowens8907
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Like really sour grapes haha
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM
I think you did it just right. Or "old grape juice".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Many Catholic churches don't even offer the wine because it's not sanitary I guess.  But we have the choice to take it or not.  My son doesn't, he hates the wine.  And I might have to start going to the church the OP does...ds10 never did first communion.  Trying to get him to take the classes when he has to go to his dad's every other weekend was a pain.  It's kind of a shame I feel he's losing a part of his heritage.  But he won't have the issues going to a different church that he would staying in the Catholic faith.

Quoting cybcm:

Times have changed. Back in my day we all had to take a sip.

Quoting Anonymous: No, everyone dips the wafer in the chalice.

Quoting cybcm:

Well, if my childhood memories are correct, by the time you get it then wine tastes like the backwash of about 50 people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM
The guy below me does that as a side business. Hmm maybe I should skip the smokes all together and go straight for the weed.

Quoting mamabear55:

Find a drug dealer. Not a mean drug dealer, but like a nice one. Like "Hey guys, what's up? Wanna buy some drugs?"

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

mamabear55
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Interesting..........

I'll have to think on that.

Quoting Anonymous: The guy below me does that as a side business. Hmm maybe I should skip the smokes all together and go straight for the weed.

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting mamabear55:

Quoting mamabear55:

with a cigarette

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)