Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding is for poor people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 125 Replies
Is what my neighbor told me today. She's always saying something new and crazy but this takes the cake. I told her this isn't true and she said wrong, in her day it was only poor people who breastfed and today women say this isn't true but then they go on to brag about what a money saver it is over formula.

What do you think, does she have a point?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Bump
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM
9 moms liked this
Uh no. Studies show it's actually the oter way around. The more someone makes, the more likely they are to breastfeed. Due to education and such.
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Breastfeeding is "for" anyone who wants to do it. It is a money saver, though. That much we know is true.

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
****facepalm

This one takes the cake.........for today
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM
She was like if it isn't for poors then why do they always say first thing that it saves money? I laughed and told her I had to pump and the pump alone cost $300! I think she's nuts but I wonder if anyone else out there agrees with her.

Quoting nerdymom28:

Breastfeeding is "for" anyone who wants to do it. It is a money saver, though. That much we know is true.

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM
5 moms liked this
Breastfeeding is for *smart* people...is what I say :)
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I don't know many people who consider saving money to be a bad thing. Rich or poor, saving money when you can is always a good thing.

Yeah...she's nuts. You have the right of it.

Quoting Anonymous: She was like if it isn't for poors then why do they always say first thing that it saves money? I laughed and told her I had to pump and the pump alone cost $300! I think she's nuts but I wonder if anyone else out there agrees with her.

Quoting nerdymom28:

KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Well women who breast feed are saving A LOT of money, it doesn't make them "poor" though. I don't even want to think about how much money we spent on formula in the year *shudders*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM

My MIL spouted that same gem when I was expecting my oldest. It was just one of the ignorant things she said.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Feb. 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this

My mother told me breastfeeding was for the lazy. She said I was lazy because I didn't want to get up at night and fix a bottle, or wash bottels and nipples. 

I just smiled and let her talk, and my lazy ass nursed all 5 of my children by birth :)

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)