Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting world records

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

Oldest father 96 years old

The greatest officially recorded number of children born to one mother is 69, to the wife of Feodor Vassilyev (b. 1707–c.1782), a peasant from Shuya, Russia. In 27 confinements she gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets.

Numerous contemporaneous sources exist, which suggest that this seemingly improbably and statistically unlikely story is true. The case was reported to Moscow by the Monastery of Nikolsk on 27 Feb 1782, which had recorded every birth. It is noted that, by this time, only two of the children who were born in the period c. 1725–65 failed to survive their infancy.

The Gentleman's Magazine (1783, 53, 753) recounts: "In an original letter now before me, dated St Petersburg, Aug 13, 1782, O. S. Feodor Wassilief [sic], aged 75, a peasant, said to be now alive and in perfect health, in the Government of Moscow, has had–

By his first wife:

4 x 4 = 16
7 x 3 = 21 
16 x 2 = 32
----------
27 births 69 children

By his second wife:
6 x 2 = 12
2 x 3 = 6 
---------
8 births 18 children

"In all, 35 births, 87 children, of which 84 are living and only three buried. . . The above relation, however astonishing, may be depended upon, as it came directly from an English merchant at St Petersburg to his relatives in England, who added that the peasant was to be introduced to the Empress."

In Saint Petersburg Panorama, Bashutski, 1834, the author notes that:

"In the day of 27 February 1782, the list from Nikolskiy monastery came to Moscow containing the information that a peasant of the Shuya district, Feodor Vassilyev, married twice, had 87 children. His first wife in 27 confinements gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets. His second wife in eight confinements gave birth to six pairs of twins and two sets of triplets. F. Vassilyev was 75 at that time with 82 of his children alive."

And the Lancet (1878) refers to a twin study carried out by the French Academy and:

"Apropos of the enquiry, the Committee of the Academy recall an account of a quite extraordinary fecundity that was published by M. Hermann in his "Travaux Statistiques de la Russie," for Fedor Vassilet [sic]. . . who, in 1782, was aged 75 years, had had, by two wives, 87 children."

Fastest time to dress a Barbie doll (28.87 seconds)

Least time to assemble Mr. Potato Head (6.62 seconds—don’t forget the moustache!)

Most socks sorted and hung in one minute by a 2-person team (19 pairs, and hey, what a sneaky way to get kids to help with chores!

The fastest marathon run by parent and child on aggregate is 5 hr 30 min 21 sec and was achieved by Henry Peck and his son Graham Peck (both USA) at the Chicago Marathon, in Chicago, Illinois, USA, on 7 October 2012.

Graham finished in 2 hr 25 min 40 sec and his father Henry completed the marathon in 3 hr 4 min 41 se

The oldest adoptive parent is Frances Ensor Benedict (USA, b. 11 May 1918), who was aged 83 years 329 days when she officially adopted Jo Anne Benedict Walker (USA) on 5 April 2002 in Putnam County, Tennessee, USA.

Jo Anne holds the record for the oldest person to be adopted at 65 years 224 days.

The first wife (died ante 1770), of Feodor Vassilyev (b. 1707–c.1782), a peasant from Shuya, Russia, gave birth to 16 sets of twins. 

Barbara Zulu of Barberton, South Africa bore 3 sets of girls and 3 mixed sets in seven years (1967–73). 

Anna Steynvaait of Johannesburg, South Africa produced 2 sets within 10 months in 1960. 

Four sets were born to the wife of Feodor Vassilyev (Russia, 1707–c.1782) who lived in Shuya, Russia. She also holds the record for being the most prolific mother.

On 20 August 1997, Dawn Brooke (UK) became the oldest natural mother when she gave birth to a son by Caesarian section at the age of 59 years. She conceived accidentally, having managed to ovulate past her last period.

For information please click the ribbon. 

my son and I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within our bodies. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normally. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. My reading comprehension is affected at times as well.  It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Astonishing and a little scary lol.
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

could you imagine pushing out 69 kids! to think 67 survived, She is VERY lucky expecialy for the times. 

Quoting bleumonster: Astonishing and a little scary lol.

my son and I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within our bodies. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normally. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. My reading comprehension is affected at times as well.  It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM
I know! I wonder how many each of them had? Lol

Quoting gypsy_rose:

could you imagine pushing out 69 kids! to think 67 survived, She is VERY lucky expecialy for the times. 

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM

the first wife had 69 with her husband, she died he remaried and  the second wife had 18 children

oting bleumonster: I know! I wonder how many each of them had? Lol

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Dang that's a lot of kids.
Wonder if she had to have any c-sections.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Yeah I saw that. I'm amazed he could get anyone to marry him again lol.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

the first wife had 69 with her husband, she died he remaried and  the second wife had 18 children

oting bleumonster: I know! I wonder how many each of them had? Lol

Quoting gypsy_rose:

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

this was in 1770s. the first sucsessful c-section where the mother AND child lived was 1794.

Quoting Ber-Lynn: Dang that's a lot of kids.
Wonder if she had to have any c-sections.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured