Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about kids getting taken out of school for vacations?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 481 Replies
3 moms liked this

I'm so going on anon for this one.

We are contemplating going to Disney/ Universal for ten days. We came across a great deal, but moreso my DH and I can get vacation at the exact same time. The only thing is that our ten and twelve year old will be out of school for a week.

My inner child is screaming, "DISNEY! UNIVERSAL STUDIOS! HARRY POTTER!", while my inner adult is making me feel guilty. Not guilty enough to stop me planning before work though...

So have you done it or would you do it? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TurtleMami
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM
17 moms liked this

If you had any idea what your child does at school you would not feel guilty. Yes, they will miss some work. Yes, they will have to get caught up. But it's not the end of the world.

Once they're in high school, where tests can make or break college admission, then you should keep them in school. Right now, enjoy your vacation!

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:38 AM
2 moms liked this
That's too many days imo. One..maybe 2....but a whole week is too much.
I'd pay a bit more if it meant them not missing as many days:(
fivekids2220
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this

How old are they?  How responsible are they? What is their work ethic with regard to homework and independent work?  What is your school's policy on receiving homework?

Our family took one week off because of a national sports championship that my son was involved in in another state.  Our oldest, a high schooler, stayed home with his grandma because he didn't want to miss school and felt it would be too hard to make up the work.  The younger kids (6th grade and below) all went.  The middle school had no problem providing the schoolwork ahead of time so that my sons could keep up with their work and complete it before we left.  The elementary school teacher gave me a hard time, told me that we couldn't have the homework, that it was district policy not to provide the work ahead of time, and said my daughter would have to make up the work when she got back (which, for her, would have caused a lot of anxiety - she likes to have everything done ahead of time).  In the end, when I contacted the principal to let her know that her teacher was the only one in the crowd who was giving me a hard time and that, despite district "policy", the middle school teachers were more than happy to help, the work was provided.  

Many families in our area own vacation homes in Florida, etc.  I often see kids missing several days at a time to be there.  I don't know if I would do it frequently, but I think it's fine as an occasional thing as long as your kids are responsible.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:41 AM
3 moms liked this
I would do it.

Ask the teachers ahead of time if they would send the work home or if they would let them do a presentation on what they learned that week.

If the school is being a complete jerk about it, withdraw the kids. When you get back, re-enroll them. They will not have to do the makeup work. They won't have absences nor 0 for any papers due when they are not enrolled. This works in Texas.
suzanneyea
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:42 AM

I have pulled my son for a week. His grades are very good. I probably won't do it in high school,.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents pulled me out of school for vacations quite often. They spoke to my teacher(s) and made sure I had all my homework for the week (or however long we were gone) and I'd do it while on vacation. I don't think it's a big deal so long as they are not missing major tests and will be still doing the school work. 

flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:46 AM

I have! Took them to disney too!  BUT we took the school with us, meaning they had independent studies.  we went for 4 days but the minimum of days they have to be out to qualify for independent studies is 10 here... so basically they completed all work before vacations, then came back to school and were in the same page.  = )  Not guilty here!  My husbands vacations are hard to get on summer or holidays due to the seniority of his peers, who alwasy take the main summer time or holidays.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:49 AM
It depends on the school and the district. My kids' schools would have a cow lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:52 AM
I would have the teacher draw up a packet that they can work on while on vacation and I would give the kids a day or two to recover from their vacation before heading back to school.
mjande4
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:54 AM
15 moms liked this

No I have not and won't. I am a math teacher and no matter how capable you THINK your children are, they will suffer academically. If your kids are good students, then it will stress them out on top of it. They only attend school an average of 180 days. Pick the OTHER 185.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)