Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think homely children can be pretty adults?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I was a very ugly duckling and my family made no bones about telling me so.  I have always felt awkward and ugly.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and beauty is only skin deep, but how do you get past that? 

Can a homely children ever be pretty?  I can do my hair, apply makeup, work out, buy nice clothes and accessories, but still I look like that ugly duckling kid. 

Any advice.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzanneyea
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Lots of models were called ugly at school.

there is so much a cute outfit ad good hair can fix.

but, if you have a big nose or bad teeth...that will always be an issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:45 AM

I got my nose fixed and my teeth are fine.  I do manicures and pedicures, get my hair done professionally.  I went to manners school (as and adult) to learn self confidence, I make a point of buying one new outfit per month, I retire the oldest and update to new items.  I only own one pair of jeans, I wear dresses all the time.  I try not to think about my looks and when men make rude remarks, calling me a dog, or not asking me to dance it hurts. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:49 AM
I hate the whole "models were ugly ducklings" thing. In real life the features that make someone successful in fashion are really not that attractive.

That being said I do think that some kids come into their own as adults. My best friend in elementary school had a rat's best of hair and coke bottle glasses. Once she learned how to style her hair and got contacts, she was gorgeous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

You probably have gotten so use to being called that it is stuck. I feel like the ugliest person on most days I hate mirros on top of it . With me applying the make up and making sure my hair is not frizzy even for that tiny minute or so until that stupid voice in the back of my head pipes up I enjoy that few minutes. Sometimes you got to get hard and just be like fuck it I look how I look and if they do not like it fuck them and fuck that voice that people have put there telling me shit and then I make sure my kids are  treated diff and I try to not show what I feel on how I look around them or that it just does not matter as much as it does. And on my bad days I stay away from mirrors .

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

As a kid I was always thin, and just not the cute people go on about lol it felt bad for years, I knew the other kids were just cute:( Suddenly, in hs, I became quite the stunner. Still am. Chin up, it can work out!

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Absolutely.  My oldest sister was definately an ugly duckling, and my middle sister and I were the "pretty ones."  My oldest sister is now the smokin' hot one.  She grew into her features, figured out what to do with her hair, she's a size 2 with an amazing body, great makeup.  She did get her nose done, and it looks amazing.  She deserves it, she was picked on as a child (NEVER by family, though!), and she's such a wonderful, loving person, which makes her even MORE gorgeous,

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Oh yea. My sister was " homely" and she is stunning
nana-to-9
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I am so sorry your family did not instill confidence in you.  People can be attractive for lots if reasons...not just looks.  Some of the most beautiful people I know, are beautiful because of their personality and outlook on life.  Looks fade...trust me...I am 52, if I had not spent time on my inner beauty, and only relied on my physical appearance, I would be in a major depression right now!

LilzMommy
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

A smile & self confidence as well as a true acceptance of self is what will make a woman stand out far beyond anything else...and if that doesn't work, Botox does. ;)
Funerary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Baileigh?

Quoting Anonymous: I hate the whole "models were ugly ducklings" thing. In real life the features that make someone successful in fashion are really not that attractive.

That being said I do think that some kids come into their own as adults. My best friend in elementary school had a rat's best of hair and coke bottle glasses. Once she learned how to style her hair and got contacts, she was gorgeous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN