Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social Experiment: Would you give a cold child you do not know your coat?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 231 Replies
1 mom liked this

The generosity of the people in this video is heartwarming.  I know I would give a cold child my jacket to keep them warm.

Social experiment: Would you give a cold child your coat?

By Nadine Kalinauskas | Good News - 20 hours ago

SOS Mayday, part of Norway's SOS Children's Villages action network, recently performed a simple social experiment.

They hired a child actor to wait at a bus stop, shivering in the cold, without a coat.

Hidden cameras then captured strangers' compassion and generosity to the young boy in need.

The organization released the heartwarming video to raise awareness for displaced children in war-torn Syria in need of warm clothing.

When we see a cold child, we want to help. But what about the freezing children we don't see?

"The situation for children in Syria is difficult. They live in fear and the nights are very cold," the group explained.

"Most live in inhuman conditions, many in broken homes without heating. To help children in areas around Damascus and Aleppo, we give out winter jackets that they will not freeze at night."

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, and I have before. I usually have an extra jacket or two in my car since my kids are always leaving them there.

Ashley1113
by Ley on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
In a heartbeat. I'd rather me be cold than a child. And if they don't have a coat, I can always just buy me a new one.
Zanny
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I would.   

Blooming_Lotus
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I do not wear a coat. But if I had one on I would.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM
11 moms liked this

Years ago, on a very cold night, in my tiny town, I saw a shopping cart lady.  I hadn't seen one, ever, in my area.  She was in a Long John Silvers cleaning up in the bathroom and trying to get warm...We didn't want to embarrass her, so we took all the cash, and change we had, it was probably a couple hundred dollars or so, two coats, an umbrella, and a blanket, and stuffed it in her cart for her to find....Months later I pulled into a grocery store parking lot and parked next to this old car that, you could tell someone was living out of.  In the backseat of the car, was one of the coats, marked with my company logo, and the blanket.......So she was living out of a car, but no longer living out of a shopping cart....always help if you can, you never know, how you can change a person's life.

angelchewning
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM
7 moms liked this
Great now I'm crying while pumping at work!
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Yes.
DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Yes, I would. I have more than one coat, and even if I didn't, I'm in a position than allows me to buy one.

I can handle being cold. An innocent child shouldn't have to.
withsecond
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I would definitely give a kid my coat. 

highlandmum
by Spunky on Feb. 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Sorry about making you cry.  It just goes to show you that we all have it in us to be kind and caring for one another.

Quoting angelchewning: Great now I'm crying while pumping at work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured