Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A mother brought her child to class today and the professor kicked her out...WDYT?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 550 Replies
2 moms liked this

My class has a 5 strikes, you fail attendance policy. You can have an A in the class otherwise, but if you miss it 5 times, you automatically fail.

Today, this woman in the class brought her son with her. He looked about 2, and was fidgeting, loudly whispering, getting up and walking around, etc. She would try to correct him, but that would just create more noise. Eventually after about 20 minutes (of the 1 hour 30 minute class) the professor asked her to leave. She said she needed to stay because of the attendance grade and it would be her fifth absence. He said he didn't care, she was creating a distraction and that he'd see her next semester.

What do you think? Should he have let her stay? Was he too mean about it? Even though she shouldn't have brought him, my heart hurt for her, she was crying as she packed up and left. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
86 moms liked this

She should have never brought the child to school with her in  the first place. 

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this
Well you really can't expect to learn something with a toddler running around
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
10 moms liked this
Rules are rules, but I would feel bad for her.
usmchoney
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
I've had professors let me bring my daughter in a pinch, at my new university though it's not allowed.
imyourPuppy
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM
20 moms liked this
I think that she had to leave, but professor should of not mark her absent. It would be a nice thing to do.
AubryJ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
4 moms liked this
No, she should not have been allowed to stay and he was not being mean or even unreasonable. A college classroom is no place for children.
-42-
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
6 moms liked this
Wtf else was he supposed to do, call her a babysitter?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
3 moms liked this
This

Quoting Sassy762:

She should have never brought the child to school with her in  the first place. 

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
11 moms liked this

It's a school, not a daycare, and he had every right to kick her out.

I know some schools allow mothers to bring their children along to class, but there's no reason to allow one to stay if he is becoming a constant disruption.

And I don't think he was mean. Taking care of her child or finding appropriate child care while she's in class is her responsibility. Teaching the class is his, and he can't do that while being constantly disrupted by a toddler. 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My professors loved having my kid in class when I had to...but I was an education major so we got to test our stuff on him lol. Plus he was 3-4. And well behaved. Any other classes I wouldnt have
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)