Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ack my bank card was declined

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM
  • 64 Replies
My bank card was caught up in the target debacle and I got a letter from my credit union that stated they were sending me a new card. About a week later I got it but in the letter it said if this is a debit card your PIN number is coming separately in a few days so I didn't activate the card because I knew that would Immediately invalidate my old one.

So it's been 4 days or so and I hadn't received the pin, I figured if I didn't get it today i would call the bank Monday.

Well I went to Walmart and rang up my total on the self check out line and swiped my card and the machine told me my card was declined. Thinking I put in the wrong pin by mistake I tried again and made sure the pin was correct. Again it was declined and by then the lady checking out next to me was watching as listening.

Then the cashier came over and tried to help and of course it was still declined so red faced I called and activated the card and lo and behold it worked immediately!!!!

Lol lesson learned on my part but damn I'm embarrassed and that whole situation is hard to explain to a 4 year old who had a million questions and keeps saying my card is broken.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I had a similar issue once. My (then) 5 yo bellowed "we don't have any money for food!"

Omg. Where's a nice big rock to crawl under when you need it?
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Lol exactly.

Quoting Anonymous: I had a similar issue once. My (then) 5 yo bellowed "we don't have any money for food!"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM
OMG I would have died lol.

Quoting Anonymous: I had a similar issue once. My (then) 5 yo bellowed "we don't have any money for food!"

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM
That's so embarrassing! I've had it happen a few times because of glitches and I always want to wave my checkbook around and show people that I'm not really broke, lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM

My information was compromised by Walmart last month and had to get a new card and I also forgot to activate it.  No one seemed to mind too much and my son kept making fun of me.  I wonder when Walmart will be coming out that they also have had issues?

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM

My bank card was declined at Starbucks yesterday before I even had a chance to select my chequing account and enter my pin, lol. They were having trouble with their machines, so I had to find an abm and take out cash.

katherinemcp
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Last summer my card was declined at the post office for something like $2.59. My kids were flipping out and there was a big line, lol. We went straight to the bank (across the parking lot thankfully), and it turned out my dh's paycheck BOUNCED so it was pulled back out of our account and our accounts were all frozen for over a week figuring it all out. Ugghhhhhh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That sucks that you had to find an ATM.  Our SB will just cover it if something like that happens. 

I also got a new card because of the Target debacle.  I kept forgetting to activate it until I got an email that said they were turning off my old card on X date regardless of whether I'd activated the new one. 

Quoting Randi02:

My bank card was declined at Starbucks yesterday before I even had a chance to select my chequing account and enter my pin, lol. They were having trouble with their machines, so I had to find an abm and take out cash.

Caidysmom
by MindyM on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
That is embarrassing ...
I was worried when they sent me my new card too, but I called and activated it , because I was more worried about the hackers! Lol
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM

It was a Starbucks inside of a grocery store, so it's way different than a corporate store. They have no room to make decisions like that :(

There was an ABM less than 20 feet away, so it wasn't that bad, but iu have never had a card decline before.

Quoting Anonymous:

That sucks that you had to find an ATM.  Our SB will just cover it if something like that happens. 

I also got a new card because of the Target debacle.  I kept forgetting to activate it until I got an email that said they were turning off my old card on X date regardless of whether I'd activated the new one. 

Quoting Randi02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN