Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Got a call from the principal today...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

It was about my 8 year old ds (He's in 2nd grade). The principal AND his teacher called me on speaker phone.

I guess they had an assignment where they were given a picture of a blank ginger bread man and they were supposed to decorate it. Well, he drew his with blood all over it, a machete in its hand and a severed head hanging from the machete. O.O

He told the teacher he got it from a Jason movie. So yeah... I am gonna have to have a serious talk with him when he gets home. I already went up to his room and blocked anything rated TV-14 or above.

We have never really filtered what our kids watch.  But my 8 year old is... different. He's not like other kids. He has ADHD and ODD and he is just... different. He has always been the loner type ever since he started school. When I see him and my 6 year old walking across the playground after school, they are total opposites. My 6 year old is playing and laughing and running around with his friends. My 8 year old is staring at the ground, kicking rocks as he walks alone. He's just never been the type to be social or make friends easily and he has a bit of a temper. He is just stand offish I guess you'd say.

I'm not sure if I should be worried about him or just cut out all of the scary movies and mature video games and leave it at that...?

Idk but as of today, he won't be playing Xbox 360 (he can still play the kids games on Wii though) and like I said, his cable has been restricted. I hope it helps and he won't pull this crap again.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I'm lost for words. All I can say is I would get him into counselling. Take the TV AND the cable out of his room. No violent games or anything above G. Monitor EVERYTHING. I would even go through his room and find any journals he has and check them. Is he being bullied? In this day with the multiple shootings that have been happening, you can't blame the teachers for being concerned. Everything you've just said here from his personality, his diagnosis'; his drawing, his violent TV schedule - they all bring up red flags IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM
If he has a temper and problems with temper controlling issues then why the hell are you letting him watch a Jason movie?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM
e is 8... why is 14 and above blocked???? Anything over pg should be!! That kid would be watching barney, and that's it!
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Why does he have a tv in his room that lacks parental controls?
crumpy_gat
by No. on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
I agree. Could he be depressed? Sounds like there is something going on with him.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm lost for words. All I can say is I would get him into counselling. Take the TV AND the cable out of his room. No violent games or anything above G. Monitor EVERYTHING. I would even go through his room and find any journals he has and check them. Is he being bullied? In this day with the multiple shootings that have been happening, you can't blame the teachers for being concerned. Everything you've just said here from his personality, his diagnosis'; his drawing, his violent TV schedule - they all bring up red flags IMO.

Bekki
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I am a 2nd grade teacher. Yes, you should be concerned. The behavior you describe is not at all typical for 8 year olds. I'd seek counseling asap.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
LOL

Quoting Anonymous: e is 8... why is 14 and above blocked???? Anything over pg should be!! That kid would be watching barney, and that's it!
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this
When DD was 7 I took her to work with me. She stayed in the lunch room. A doctor/boss came to me with a picture she had drawn for him. It was of the soda machine spitting out cans of soda and hitting and killing the doctors.

I laughed my ass off! She is 24 now, so far she hasnt become a masd murderer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous: If he has a temper and problems with temper controlling issues then why the hell are you letting him watch a Jason movie?

I should have explained that better. He doesn't have a VIOLENT temper but he has outbursts where he raises his voice or yells.

mommy040710
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM
I would have him talk to a counselor. Taking away things only goes so far
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)