Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My parents gave my siblings inheritance money but won't give me mine because I had a baby

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 775 Replies

My parents set up trusts when we were little for us when we grew up. A lot of it was money my grandparents left them, but with the understanding it was for us. 

I'm 19 and I have twin sons with my boyfriend of 3 years. When my siblings turned 18 and were going off to college, my parents gave them their money, which is $40,000 each. Since I'm a mom of twins, I don't have time for school now. However, my boyfriend and I are struggling financially, and want to buy a house so we're not throwing away money on rent anymore. 

I asked my parents if I could have my trust so we can put money for a down payment. They said no way, that's for school, and if you never go, we're keeping it. 

I get that it's their money, but it's so unfair. They promised it to us growing up. They know it would go towards their grandsons having a safe place with a yard to grow up, and they don't care. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM
34 moms liked this
I dont think it is unfair, the money was designated for school, it you choose not to go you forefit the money
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM
14 moms liked this
You didn't fulfill the requirements for the money so you don't get it. Its not a fairness issue.
homeschoolmom9
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM
11 moms liked this
Yea your parents suck
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM
33 moms liked this

I wouldn't give it to you either. I would keep it in trust for your children's education.

Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM
8 moms liked this

Sorry. You made the decision, now live with the consequences. 

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM
4 moms liked this
I think its perfectly fair.
ramalamasp
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this
It was for your education, you decided not to go to school. Tough sh*t. You made your choice. Why aren't you going to school, btw? How do you plan to provide a better life for the children you made the choice to have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amybelle
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM
15 moms liked this

You'll get it when you go to College, which you should start right away. You're going to need a good education & career so you can support yourself & your children when BF is out of the picture.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I do have to wonder, did your siblings actually use the money for college?

lovelytm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM
6 moms liked this

I think they should just give you the money for the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)