Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 year old in kindergarten?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son will 4 in April. He passed the kindergarten early admit exam. He has not been to preschool or daycare. He does do a lot of play groups. Kindergarten here norm dont start till 6. Would you send him to preschool or daycare next year?
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
mab05
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Kidergarten
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to Kindergarten at 4 and I excelled, but I was very mature for my age, I did not turn 5 until near end of K. I think with boys it is almost always better to not start until 5. FWIW I am a school psychologist.

superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
The child is going to have issues with maturity down the road just saying.... Been there done that let them wait till almost 6 to be in kindergarten...
littlepinkrose
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would send him to pre-school.  He may be smart but emotionally boys are a little behind.  It may not affect him now but being the youngest guy when he is in highschool or middle school even may make him feel weird.  For a girl I would say go for it but for a boy no.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
My 3 year old starts JK in September, my oldest daughter started JK when she was 3 as well.
I would send him.
katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I would try kidgergarten, and if its not working out, just put him in preschool instead and wait until next year.
YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
They do not have an early admittance option here in our public schools. My daughter had all the needed kindergarten skills at 3 and a half years old (letters, numbers, name writing, reading,group adaptation, listening skills, self help skills, etc.. Because of the cut-offs here she was not eligible to go to school until she was almost 6. We sent her to pre-k from age 3-5. Homeschooled awhile. Now, she is in high school and one of the oldest in her class, but taking far more college levcurses ses than her peers. I would never allow skipping grades. She has done fantastic.
YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Pardon typos...on mobile....
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
That would never have worked with my daughters

Quoting superwoman8977: The child is going to have issues with maturity down the road just saying.... Been there done that let them wait till almost 6 to be in kindergarten...
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
My oldest started kinder at almost 5. (She was 4 but her 5th birthday was in October.) she flourished and actually skipped into 1st grade halfway through...but I know she is not the norm.

I would send him to pre-k. Then he could get some classroom time under his belt and you can go from there. If all goes well, he can start kinder next year at 5, which is the norm here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN