Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 year old in kindergarten?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son will 4 in April. He passed the kindergarten early admit exam. He has not been to preschool or daycare. He does do a lot of play groups. Kindergarten here norm dont start till 6. Would you send him to preschool or daycare next year?
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
my son had just turned four about two months before he started pre-k
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I would wait. My Ds was four when he started this year, but turned five shortly after. He's done fabulously, but I wouldn't have started him if he was 4 almost the entire year.
darbyakeep45
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Quoting spunky946:

Pre school.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

My son passed the early admittance test as well but I chose to put him in a preschool because emotionally I didn't feel like he was ready for the pressure of all day school. We put him in at 5 and he's doing 1st and 2nd grade work. We aren't sure about moving him forward though because he's incredibly immature.

ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I start mine at 6, so I would do a 3 day a week preschool this year and 5 half days preschool next year.
Then mine head to full day kinder after their 6th summer bday. My middle will start this fall
gsdogsrule
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Absolutely not. My son is a Christmas baby, and our cut off date is Dec. 31. I did not send him to Kindergarten in September, when he was 4, I waited for the following Sept. when he actually was 5, and he turned 6 that Christmas. Best decision I have ever made. There are children in his class (he's now in Grade 1, and he turned 7 this past Christmas), who are late in the year babies as well, and they were not held back and they are all in the lower third of the class. That's essentially what it amounts to: do you want your child to be in the top third of the class? Wait. Happy with them being in the bottom third? Send them off to school. My son did his Kindergarten readiness assessment when he was 3 years 10 months of age and got all green lights because he is a bright little button, but it is not all about academics. It's about maturity, social skills, impulse control, ability to listen for long periods of time, cooperate, attend, etc etc.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

My daughter started kindergarten at 4. She did great and is now 9 and in an accelerated 4th grade class. If you think he's ready, he probably is!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I turned five just three or four weeks before starting kindergarten and i did okay. I got kicked out the second day for being ahead (knowing ABC's, 123's, how to read/write etc.) but that's a seperate issue. They wanted to move me ahead to first grade but my mom refused, they also wanted to move me ahead in 3rd grade, again my mom refused. I graduated two months before i turned 18, I was always the youngest.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Mine either. My oldest was almost 6 when she started 2nd grade, lol.

Quoting bowribbonmama: That would never have worked with my daughters

Quoting superwoman8977: The child is going to have issues with maturity down the road just saying.... Been there done that let them wait till almost 6 to be in kindergarten...
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Ask yourself: Is he ready to do seat work? Can he do written work? Is it a full day program? Does he still need a nap? Can he handle himself with other kids? Is he shy? Is he competent handling his bathroom needs alone? Will eating with a large, noisy group be overwhelming?

2 years is a big difference right now. If you do enroll him and he is overwhelmed or upset all the time can you take him out and try again the following year?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)