Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 year old in kindergarten?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son will 4 in April. He passed the kindergarten early admit exam. He has not been to preschool or daycare. He does do a lot of play groups. Kindergarten here norm dont start till 6. Would you send him to preschool or daycare next year?
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
nanny1918
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM
All my kids started kindergarten at 4 years old. It worked out well. My two older ones graduated from high school at 17 and went on to college. My younger one is a freshman in high school.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Do you wish your mom had agreed to move you ahead, or are you glad she didn't?

Quoting Anonymous:

I turned five just three or four weeks before starting kindergarten and i did okay. I got kicked out the second day for being ahead (knowing ABC's, 123's, how to read/write etc.) but that's a seperate issue. They wanted to move me ahead to first grade but my mom refused, they also wanted to move me ahead in 3rd grade, again my mom refused. I graduated two months before i turned 18, I was always the youngest.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
This. My son will turn 5 in sept and is really calm/easy going. Otherwise id have him wait a year foe kinder

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Preschool

It would be really hard for a child with no classroom experience AND developmental immaturity to be successful with children two years older
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Preschool. I started DS in Kindergarten at 4 and I regret it so much. 

Kindergarten usually is passable, it's Grade 1 and 2 and 3 that it starts to be a snowball that catches up to them more and more every year. Kindergarten is a lot of playing and just getting used to routines. But then in Grade 1 they start doing serious work...math, reading, writing (this one is especially difficult for little guys). 

A lot of people who started Kindergarten that young 20 and 30 years ago don't realize that there's been a huge bump down in the grades where Grade 2 work is now being done in Grade 1, Grade 1 work is now being done in Kindergarten. The return of more and more full-day kindergartens also puts more stress on the youngest kids.

DS has now made it through to Grade 4 but it's been a huge slog. Pretty miserable really. We had to get a lot of extra tutoring, he's still behind in some areas, he looks like a toddler stuck in with al these huge kids, he's emotionally not on their level because he's now 9 whereas many of them are like 10.5 or even 11.  

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Ds started kindergarten at 4 but he had 2 years of preschool prior to that. Boys tend to lag behind socially and emotionally which ds did but he's now in 7th grade and I'm glad I didn't hold him back. He's always done amazingly academically and although for the first few years he lagged emotionally, for the past 5 years you wouldn't know.
Luuckymommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM
My son was 4 when he started kindergarten but he turned 5 in October. I did worry about sending him but he did great. He's in first grade now and excelling but his teacher said his drawings are immature and he's silly sometimes. I believe this is due to him being younger. If I had waited that wouldn't be an issue but he would have been bored in kindergarten if I'd sent him this year instead. Hard call Mama but don't worry you'll make the right choice.
kaybayblee3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM

If you think he's ready, and the tests show he's ready, then yeah send him.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Mine are both December babies. My oldest DD started grade 1 in September when she was 5.
Even if I HAD delayed kindergarten it wouldn't have worked, she still would've started grade 1 at 5.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole: Mine either. My oldest was almost 6 when she started 2nd grade, lol.

Quoting bowribbonmama: That would never have worked with my daughters

Quoting superwoman8977: The child is going to have issues with maturity down the road just saying.... Been there done that let them wait till almost 6 to be in kindergarten...
Bluerose1482
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Do they let them start kinder that early where you live?  Here they can't start unless they are 5 by Aug 15th.  

In either case, I'd put him in preschool.

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I'd wait. Why is everyone in such a hurry for their kids to rush off to school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)