Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

8 Times It's Totally OK to Judge Other Mothers​

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 166 Replies
1 mom liked this

8 Times It's Totally OK to Judge Other Mothers​

by Mary Fischer

mom grabbing little girl

Ugh. When it comes to how moms treat other moms, well -- let's just say we do our best to understand that we all parent differently and we try and respect that.

But let's be honest -- sometimes it's next to impossible not to put on our judgy pants when we see another mom doing something odd, inappropriate, or just downright mean as far as dealing with her child goes.

And in those instances, I think it's safe to say we all can agree that it's ok to mumble under our breath about what a craptastic parent she is -- whether it's all the time or in that particular moment.

On that note, here are eight good instances when it's perfectly acceptable to judge other mothers.

1. When she yells at her kid who isn't doing anything wrong -- For example, when her 3-year-old is crying on an airplane simply because she has to pee and the seat belt sign is illuminated -- and she's very harshly scolding her for not being a "brave, big girl" and yells and threatens never to take her on a trip again.
  2. When there is snot running down her child's face -- Not a little dribble ... like a full-blown legitimate snot stream. Grab a tissue, for crying out loud. Or better yet, keep the kid at home since he's obviously pretty sick.
  3. When she smokes in the general vicinity of her kids -- Nuff said.
  4. When she refuses to discipline her child -- If you are at the park and her toddler throws dirt in your child's face and/or pushes him to the ground and she does nothing? Go ahead and judge all you want.
  5. When she humiliates her kid on purpose -- Shaming her. Making fun of her. Ridiculing her. Whatever. It's mean and nasty no matter how you look at it.
  6. When she gets physical with her child -- We've all seen a mom grab her kid VERY hard by the arm, give him a push or slap, or worse while we're out in public. It's impossible not to feel rage upon seeing a mom mistreat her little one like that.
  7. When she swears at her kid -- Not swears in front of him by accident (like we all do from time to time) -- but AT him for whatever reason. That's just not right.
  8. When she isn't paying an attention to her child -- You know, like when her toddler is wandering a good 20 feet behind her in a crowded mall or airport. Um ... WTF?

Have any judgy moments you'd like to add to the list?

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-_-
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Seems legit.

CEG-PAT
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM
32 moms liked this

9. When she lets her kids watch Caillou.

polkaspots
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
When their kids are visibly dirty and not at a park or playground where that's acceptable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM
8 moms liked this

9. When parents hit their kids at all, for any reason, instead of using their brains to teach or discipline.

10. When parents feed their kids processed crap every single day

11. When parents don't spend any quality time with their kids

12. When parents brainwash and indoctrinate their children from birth to believe in one of many silly, Iron Age stories as facts and punish them for wanting to learn about science instead

13. When parents allow their child's genitals to be mutilated

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM
3 moms liked this
Number 8: it may LOOK like I'm not paying attention to my kid but I assure I am.
JoanahLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM
3 moms liked this

Im with you on #1-7. And if we are only talking about small toddlers, then #8 as well, but I give my kids a pretty long leash, and im always watching, even if it looks like im not.  I like for them to think that maybe I DO take my eyes off them here and there and I like to see that they still behave and stay inside their boundaries when they think im not looking.  

People have given me lots of dirty looks for letting my kids run ahead or stray off to the sides to climb on walls or look at things.  If they have to hold my hand every second we are away from home they will never learn how to judge the safety of a situation on their own.  There is a lot of gray area, but I don't think that just because there are 20 feet between a parent and their child it is worthy of judgment day! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM
5 moms liked this

When their house looks like an episode of hoarders.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM
7 moms liked this

I disagree with a few of these.  For number one, how can you really know the kid isn't doing anything wrong.  Unless you've been within inches of the parent/child for the duration of whatever, you can't know the circumstances.  It may just seem like they're yelling at their kid  for no reason.  And number 4 is bullsh*t, too.  Now that my kids are a bit older, I'm more apt to discipline or talk about some behavior  I didn't like after the fact and not so much right in public.  It may appear that I'm ignoring some not so pleasant behavior, but I assure you that once alone, it was dealt with.  And number 8 is ridiculous.   I'm a watch from afar type of parent.  One doesn't need to ride down the slide with their kid to be paying close to attention to them. 

MomNCombatBoots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm guilty of number one. not ashamed to admit it. like yesterday at the dog park, i told her several times to go play away from the pile of dog shit. what happens? she comes running right through the giant pile of dog shit. man was i fuckin peeved! so yeah, i raised my voice, probably dropped a swear word or two, but later on, i apologized because i shouldnt have gotten all that angry over something that really isnt THAT important. patience is something I'm working on. I've never had much patience. oh yeah, and number 3, i sit on my front steps and smoke a cigarette while my daughter plays. hell, i'll even get up and kick the soccer ball around with a cigarette. you wanna judge me for that, you get on with your bad selves. there are worse things i could be doing. sure beats doing shot after shot of whiskey, now doesn't it. besides, the other moms (and dads) i know, don't judge me. and being a smoker doesn't make you a shitty parent. being a shitty parent makes you a shitty parent!

couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Of course these women will disagree and add their own.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)