Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

we are low income

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every cent counts. We save all our bottles and cans and take MILs also for some extra money. My neighbor usually has a couple large bag of beer bottles and soda that he throws away every week. Lately he has been giving his bags to us to take back too since he never did.

DD says a girl at school saw me taking his bag of cans and now let everyone around school know about it. Shes asking me now to stop taking them. His cans make up more than half of our total so we wouldnt be getting as much back and this is part of our extra money for unexpecteds and treats.

wwyd
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM
My dad got cancer right after I was born and my parents collected cans for years to help pay off the bills. We helped them whenever we were old enough and my parents still collect cans dept extra money, even though my dad makes a really decent amount of money. I'd tell your daughter that smart people don't waste an easy oppritunity to make some extra cash like that.
kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM

say hun, sometimes there are things that matter more than our pride.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Then tell her to tell the girls that so she won't be embarrassed

Quoting Anonymous: She knows the real reason. It was never a secret but she could say this to the school girls i think

Quoting Anonymous: I'd do it anyway. I'd tell my daughter I was doing it to help the environment, that recycling is something everyone should do.
Liastele
by Lauren on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

You claim do the recycling thing that the first respondent suggested, or you could find other methods for spare change, such as donating plasma or other discreet things. It can be embarrassing as a teen to have a mom hauling around bags of cans for money, you know? No one wants their peers to know they are poor. :/

abecee
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

There is nothing wrong with returning cans. Your daughter should tell her friends that.

ShellLea
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM

We all recycle around here. I take stuff for the neighbors all the time...

babyblujems
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I would tell my kid you were doing it to help the environment and that she should tell this little bully that as well.  Then she can tell her that your neighbor wouldn't recycle anyway and that while yes you do get some money from it, you are also making sure that all of them have a better future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Just have her say you're bringing them for recycling as a favor to him. No big deal.
mommytoacloud
by Angel on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Tell her why you're doing it the truth
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM
She knows the truth. I never said it was a secret.

Quoting mommytoacloud: Tell her why you're doing it the truth
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)