Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this really unhealthy?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM
  • 21 Replies
My parents have been staying with us this past week because their house has no heat or running water. This is all fine but my mom keeps throwing little digs at my relationship and my father keeps trying to let ds get away with everything and hates that df doesn't let ds get away with everything. Like play station, my son wants to play alllll day but when it's time to shut it off he sometimes throws fits. If he doesn't stop screaming the rule is he doesn't play tomorrow.

My dad doesn't wanna hear him so he 'feels bad' and thinks we should just give him whatever his little heart desires. It has been a little hard on ds since it was just me and him since he was born so it's an adjustment having a father figure. But I get reports from his teacher that behavior wise he is doing awesome in school and is like a whole new kid since September.

And my mom keeps saying stuff about him being 'up my ass' just bc we like to be around each other. Were still at the point where we still enjoy each others company lol :P but in all reality I do love being around him, we've been through a lot these past couple months and it's really brought us closer. Neither of us likes going out really, and we don't have many friends we hang out with. So other than when he goes to work were together. We rarely fight so it's not like were sick of each other and we have our morning 'routine' where we wake up, he puts ds on the bus and I go back to sleep for an hour while he plays playstation. If it works for us I don't see why they have such an issue. Oh and that he's affectionate (rubs my belly and does raspberries to it, talks to the baby, holds my hand, cuddles on the couch) and that bugs them bc my family is not and they just assume I don't like it
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I would ask  you parents to sit down with you alone without kid and SO. Ask them how they would feel if the tables were turned ? Would they want you or anyone else telling them how their life should be run or how to raise their kids ?

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Thank you that's a good idea actually. I try to grin and bare it but it's starting to get to me so that's what I'll do

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I would ask  you parents to sit down with you alone without kid and SO. Ask them how they would feel if the tables were turned ? Would they want you or anyone else telling them how their life should be run or how to raise their kids ?

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Quoting kristiansmommy1: Thank you that's a good idea actually. I try to grin and bare it but it's starting to get to me so that's what I'll do

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

You have to be super cautious with parents but they need to understand They had their life and raised you the way they wanted to and now its your turn. Let them know you value how much they taught you and will ask for guidance if you need to ! that will make it easier to talk to them.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Um, are you talking about your father in that last paragraph or a bf?  You don't mention a partner anywhere in there.

abecee
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You have to remind them that you are an adult now and are responsible for your life and the life of your child.  They had their turn raising their child/ren and now you are raising yours. I would also remind them whose house they are staying in.  Your house your rules.

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Eww lmao no that's about df

Quoting Melissa_4:

Um, are you talking about your father in that last paragraph or a bf?  You don't mention a partner anywhere in there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM
I think your relationship sounds just fine with me.

it's funny how people think they know you but have no clue. my mom kept saying how my MIL was going to annoy the hell out of me with her attentiveness. all I could think was how nice it is to finally have someone show they care. my poor mom (sarcasm), I finally have the mother I always wanted and it's not the one who bore me.
kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM
You're right, thank you. I was hoping the house would be fixed by now but it's not even close so I do have to bring it up to them

Quoting abecee:

You have to remind them that you are an adult now and are responsible for your life and the life of your child.  They had their turn raising their child/ren and now you are raising yours. I would also remind them whose house they are staying in.  Your house your rules.

sarasunshine99
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Your parents don't have any water or heat, clearly their behavior is a manifestation of their own misery.  

wintermoon111
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
How you run your household is none of their business-its your house-your rules and your way
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)