Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Aren't my coworkers out of line?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I work part time for a company.    There are 6 part-time workers.  The boss assigned an added responsibility to the 6 of us and I told him I'm not doing it.  I want to be full time, instead of just having more work dumped on me  and being told to go above and beyond!  They don't pay me enough!

Anyhow, the other 5 part time workers made up a schedule for this duty and put me on it-after I flat out told them I'm not doing it!  I emailed them that they're not my supervisors and have no right to tell me what to do!  I work hard.  They emailed me how hard they work and that we were all assigned this duty!  Then they went to HR!  HR is on there side but I'm not doing it!  I'm not being taken advantage of!

What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mrs.Missi
by punk rock princess on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Shut up and do your job or find a new one. I hope you don't live in an at will state. They can fire you for that its called insubordination.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

You sound like one of those people who never grow up, cant hold a job and hate when your told what to do.  Life isn't always marshmallows and rainbows. Your boss gave you and 5 other people a task, you do it and work hard to get where you want to be. You cant put your foot down like a child and say NO! I want a different job!

Either you

1) Do it and more on and find out what you need to do to get where you want to be.

2) Lose your job and cry about it

3) Start looking for a job you can do, dont mind doing and will pay you what you want.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yes that will get you a full time position.
handy0318
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Does going "above and beyond" involve working off the clock?

If you are getting all the duties assigned done during your regular working hours, then you either need to take on the added duties, or look for another job.

But, if going "above and beyond" is code for getting the extra duties done off the clock...then you had grounds for a lawsuit if they fire you for not doing that.

I ask, because my dh and I worked for a company that kept touting "no overtime" but would force people to stay and do work off the clock. When my dh refused to do it any longer, they fired him. 

They lost the lawsuit and we were awarded an amount of money that made up for all the hours he worked without being compensated.

wintermoon111
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I would hate working with you
soljawife
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Find another job
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Time to start putting in your app other places, cause you are not going to last long when you act like a spoiled princess who hasn't gotten her way. 

tiniowien
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

What's the duty?

ForestFairy09
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not fair and WTF?  Where do my co-worker s get off?

YOU not doing your fair share means more work for coworkers!

Your coworkers are right to stand up for themselves!

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Welcome to grown up life.  Now deal with it.

)0(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)