Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Aren't my coworkers out of line?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I work part time for a company.    There are 6 part-time workers.  The boss assigned an added responsibility to the 6 of us and I told him I'm not doing it.  I want to be full time, instead of just having more work dumped on me  and being told to go above and beyond!  They don't pay me enough!

Anyhow, the other 5 part time workers made up a schedule for this duty and put me on it-after I flat out told them I'm not doing it!  I emailed them that they're not my supervisors and have no right to tell me what to do!  I work hard.  They emailed me how hard they work and that we were all assigned this duty!  Then they went to HR!  HR is on there side but I'm not doing it!  I'm not being taken advantage of!

What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Replies (321-327):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I think pretty soon you will likely be out of a job..

Have fun with that.. 

btw, I'm on their side too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Self-entitlement and employment do not often see eye to eye.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Either do what they are telling you and DOCUMENT the extra time spent or get to looking for a new job. You really are not going to get anywhere without doing that work. But if you document it, then if they try to let you go you can take all that OVER time and put it into the employment office. 

But if you are part time don't you get paid extra for working over??

April620
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Yea, what everyone else said
othermom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM

The boss told you all to do it, you told the boss not that you wanted to be full time which you are not. I think it is more than fair to expect you to do the same work as the rest of the people

Shadow_Walker
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG people like you really tick me off.  You expect to be fulltime when you are flatly refusing to do the work assigned to you by your boss?  Unless the task is illegal or immoral, or unless you have some sort of disability (beyond laziness) preventing you from doing it, stop your whining, grow up and DO IT.  When hours become available (assuming that you, by some MIRACLE, are still employed at such time) do you think your boss will grant fulltime to an employee who DID THEIR JOB or to the employee who stamped her foot and said "I'm not gonna do it because I didn't get my way"?  And it's not even something that JUST concerns you and your boss.. that's WHY your co-workers are taking this personally.  When YOU choose not to do your job, it puts THEM behind and gives THEM extra work.  They have their own jobs to do, they shouldn't be doing yours as well. 

And yes, if you expect to get anywhere within the company you SHOULD go above and beyond.  Not only because it makes you stand out as a great employee who the managers want to promote/give more hours/give raises to, but because if EVERYONE went above and beyond it would actually create a healthier, more managable work environment for EVERYONE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM

OP--can we get an update on this please? I'm not trying to be mean or catty, I just want to be sure everything worked out for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN