Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cake Moms...Is It REALLY SO HARD *BRIEF UPDATE*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
3 moms liked this

Long story short: I asked the only local small business baker to make a Candy Land cake using real frosting and candy.  Baker relatives in other parts of the country say it should cost about $75, plus any additional candy they might need to buy special.  They refused, stating they would only use fondant and modeling chocolate and quoted me $200.

So I asked for clarification of what they had in mind.  My inspiration pics are below in the original post.  These are ideas of what THEY want to do:

Cute, but who are we trying to please here?  The birthday boys, or the baker?

I have yet to hear back from the owner.  DH and I have officially decided to make it ourselves.  DH thinks it will be a fun project to do together considering he's been out of town the past few months.

It's really disappointing because I've ordered cakes from them in the past.  One was a marshmallow fondant that had a dragon theme.  OK, nobody was a huge fan of the fondant, but it was worth the design!  The other was a basket of flowers and it was all FROSTING.  Very pretty, and where the fondant wasn't the greatest, the frosting underneath and in the layers was delicious and the cake itself was moist and full of flavor.

Considering this is a party for my boys, I want them to like every part of the cake.  I don't want them peeling off the fondant sheet and leaveing it on the plate!  We've been to several weddings and events this past year and the main thing is they just flat out don't like fondant.  They've always tried it, and we've had some variety, but they don't like the texture and prefer to lick frosting.  It's THEIR cake, it will be frosted!

To make a fun cake without fondant!?!

I'm looking for someone to make my sons' birthday cake next month and neither boy has ever liked any kind of fondant.  It's a texture thing, they want frosting they can lick, not a sheet to peel off.  I called the local bakery and they  say "Oh, I'd only use fondant and modeling chocolate, not frosting and candy."  I even emailed them pics and said "You can't just do something like this?"  "No."

Guess I'm going to have to ask DH to help me make the darn cake myself.  The reasons I was willing to splurge (been quoted about $200 for the fondant/modeling chocolate cake!) and have this one made for me is because I'm on and off bed rest and light activity, not allowed to stand for long periods, etc.  This is the first year I've had to combine their birthdays into one party and I wanted to make it extra special, too.  But $200 for something they won't even like that won't come close to the real deal is not happening.

The inspiration photos:

I just don't see how fondant and modeling chocolate could possibly compare to freaking frosting and real candy!  The pictures are what my sons would LIKE, and a comparable variation of that is all I'm willing to pay for.

I'll probably buy a standard supermarket cake and add the candy myself, that'd probably be easiest.  I was hoping a professional could kick it up a notch to look even more like the boardgame.  -_-

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You just have shitty bakeries by you. They should be able to use only buttercream if that's what you want.

momto2boys3215
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Ask for recommendations from FB.  Im sure someone locally could do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Here's a bump for you. My twins' was a candyland theme. I was hoping for more on their cake. .

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM

idk, i dont make cakes. i have a friend that does, and she hates fondant. she prefers buttercream.

im 95% sure she would use buttercream for this cake.

Sbellemommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Where do you live?
jtsmommy11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
That would be so much easier with real candy. I'm just starting out making cakes and the only thing i may have trouble with is the icecream because icing may not hold up like that
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Are those freaking starbursts ON THAT CAKE?

littlemoments99
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:42 PM

My mom made all of our birthday cakes growing up and she never used fondant. Now I have a cousin who is into cakes and she almost always uses fondant. I don't even think it looks that good. Buttercream tastes better and looks better, imo.

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I HATE fondant and refuse to use it.  I would do that whole cake with icing and real candy.  I don't think fondant tastes good at all....and it would be such a waste to spend so much on covering a cake with something many people won't even eat.  Regular icing (not too thick) and real candy would taste so much better.

belindah
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It seems to be easier to use candy and frosting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)