Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you know any Slacker Moms?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM
  • 122 Replies

10 Signs You're a 'Slacker Mom'

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

momThere's a new mom label in town, ladies: Slacker Mom. Who is slacker mom, you ask? Well, she may be your friend, your coworker, maybe even you?! She's intimidating as all get out, and not because she's Super Mom incarnate -- you know, the woman who wouldn't let a centimeter of plastic within a 50-mile radius of their child/the woman who breastfeeds twins while French braiding her toddler's hair. Slacker Mom is, so they say, terrifying, because she DGAF. And she'll make you feel like a loser for bathing and feeding your children. Just kidding. Kind of.

All of us have likely encountered Slacker Mom before. She sort of brags about being a "bad mom" in a sanctimommy way, if you know what I mean. Of course, she's probably a lot more capable/loving/attentive than she makes herself seem, but being a Slacker Mom has sort of become her identity.

How do you know if you're talking to a Slacker Mom? She's likely said one of the 10 following things:

1. "You read your toddler bedtime stories?! Ha! That's so lame! I send my 3-year-old with an Us Weekly and start drankin'!"

2. "My daughter watched about four hours of Yo Gabba Gabba today. Wanna know what I did? Nothin'!"

3. "My son usually wakes up around 7, and then around 9 or so, I'll go and grab him."

4. "You make your kid's food from scratch? What a loser! If it ain't in a can or a package, I ain't buyin' it."

5. "I usually put my kids down around 5, so I can unwind."

6. "You haven't had a night out in a year? Peshaw! I'll let anyone with a pulse watch my kids. And even that is up for discussion."

7. "Eh, I'll let my kid cry for three to four hours before checking up on them. It's fiiiiine."

8. "You use organic, biodegradable diapers? What a waste of money. I use a paper towel and some washi tape."

9. "Never mind breastfeeding, I'm not even bottle feeding! I'm letting my kid fend for themselves!"

10. "When I was 5, my parents left me home alone for a week with nothing but a switch blade and a case of water and I'm fine. Would I do that to my kids? Probably not."

Do you know any Slacker Moms?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Maybe not to that degree or on all points, but on some level Yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM
DH's best friend married someone like that. They had a friend come over while we were there once and he was getting wasted - totally drunk off his ass and barely able to walk. We left, an found out later that they had brought him over to babysit their eight month old for several hours while they went out to party. Both of them are just lazy too. She won't work to help out around the house, she won't smoke outside because she doesn't want to have to leave the room, she makes him do all the housework...I can't stand that woman. And she scoffs every time I say I do stuff for my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:10 AM
4 moms liked this

Why do they all sound like they're uneducated and from either the ghetto or the trailer?

DesireMM
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM

This is exactly my sister. She is constantly leaving the kids (2 & 5 yrs old) home alone to go party because "they are sleeping".

bhow
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Not that bad but yes, there are is one in particular that comes to mind.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I can get lazy with housework, but not the kids. I'm the only adult home all but 6 days out of the month.... I'm a SAHM so sometimes the day in day out house work makes me a little crazy... But other than that, I'm great with the kids.

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd be ashamed to fit into this category
-_-
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Slacker Moms it's a nice way to say Ghetto Moms.

"Them ramen noodles for dinner" eurrii-day Moms.

I know a few

Glad I'm not one of them :-D
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM
My neighbors. Their kids pretty much do everything but cook. Its sad watching a small boy fight to the giant garbage and recycling cans to the curb. She is lazy as all hell she refuses to clean.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)