Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-Life and Pro-Choice Answer this question!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: Which Are you?

Options:

Definitely Pro-Life

Definitely Pro-Choice

Mostly Pro-Life

Mostly Pro-Choice

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 49

View Results

I haven't taken a direct stance on abortion. I'm mostly pro-choice but I feel very sad every time I hear about someone aborting their baby (or for the benefit of pro choice, their fetus/embryo/zygote, etc.). I do have a question for each side though.

For pro choice, my question is:

If you believe absolutely in “reproductive rights,” do you believe a person should be allowed by law to clone himself (a type of reproduction)? If not, why not? If so, have you taken into account the fact that the clone will be the same cellular age as the person immediately upon being created?

For the people who stand on the side of pro-life, my question is:

If you believe a fetus is a human person with the “right to life” in the sense you mean it, why don’t you hold a funeral after a miscarriage?

Please (in your comment) state whether you are pro-life or pro-choice and your answer to the corresponding question. I am truly curious to see what the answers are. Also, please vote in the poll whether your are pro-life or pro-choice. 

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2many747
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Bump

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM
I don't think we should clone people because there isn't enough research into long term effects. IMO

super123momma
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Well I choose pro-life. No one holds a funeral for a miscarriage because its only really the mother grieving for that lost baby brags she was really the only one who got to hold him/her.
Pnukey
by Jenn on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Wow, these are rather random questions that don't really go together. Cloning and a miscarriage? Can't wait to see answers! hahahahahahaha

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM

yep..pro choice.

As long as their choice doesnt affect me. :D

ETA I used to be verrryyy pro life

EarlGrayHot
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM

There is no cloning of human beings at present so it's not a problem that needs addressing.  Cloning would be a problem from a genetic aspect because it would reproduce any genetic problems instead of having a chance with another source of DNA to override them.  Dolly the sheep died after about six years because of genetic problems.  I don't believe a clone would not be the same cellular age as their progenitor if and when the procedure is ever perfected. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I fall under 'mostly pro-life' but I used to be pro choice. When I was pro choice I never thought about it being about reproductive freedom, that's something I think that's been put forth more recently to present it as something other than 'pro-abortion' which is what I always thought it was. I always did think of it as nothing more than whether abortions were available or not, to be honest. Twenty years ago I don't remember there being this term 'reproductive freedom' going around. The thought of cloning always was and probably always will be, to me, not something I'd ever do or even consider.  There is one of me already, there is no need for any more genteic "me"s out there. Even when I was pro choice cloning seemed wrong to me. As far as a miscarriage and a funeral, I've had some miscarriages, and we didn't have an official funeral because it was very early on. I think if there had been something ot bury we'd have done it. My friend lost her baby the week before she was due, I lost mine about seven weeks in. She had a funeral with burial, I had nothing to bury. We had a little thing between DH and I, we gave it a little name between the two of us, said some things, and then moved on. Nobody else even knew we were expecting until we miscarried, so it was just the two of us grieving and so our little private moment we had. We recognized the loss, the baby (babies) who never came, with a name and a moment, and so that was our funeral.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM
I am pro life..
I have never had a miscarriage,but I thought a miscarriage was typically just a lot of blood...how do you bury blood? Like I said I have never had one so I don't know what occurs with one...
I have had a late term stillbirth and we had our daughter cremated. When we adopted our daughter from China we sprinkled a portion of Kahlan's ashes while there.
mom2many747
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Probably the best answers ever!!

So sorry for your loss :-(

Quoting Anonymous:

I fall under 'mostly pro-life' but I used to be pro choice. When I was pro choice I never thought about it being about reproductive freedom, that's something I think that's been put forth more recently to present it as something other than 'pro-abortion' which is what I always thought it was. I always did think of it as nothing more than whether abortions were available or not, to be honest. Twenty years ago I don't remember there being this term 'reproductive freedom' going around. The thought of cloning always was and probably always will be, to me, not something I'd ever do or even consider.  There is one of me already, there is no need for any more genteic "me"s out there. Even when I was pro choice cloning seemed wrong to me. As far as a miscarriage and a funeral, I've had some miscarriages, and we didn't have an official funeral because it was very early on. I think if there had been something ot bury we'd have done it. My friend lost her baby the week before she was due, I lost mine about seven weeks in. She had a funeral with burial, I had nothing to bury. We had a little thing between DH and I, we gave it a little name between the two of us, said some things, and then moved on. Nobody else even knew we were expecting until we miscarried, so it was just the two of us grieving and so our little private moment we had. We recognized the loss, the baby (babies) who never came, with a name and a moment, and so that was our funeral.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I wish I could clone myself. Do you know how cool it would be to have another me running around.  Anyway. What do you mean by "cellular age". Like the clone would be 21 in a baby's body.  I don't think I'd have a problem with that. The clone probably wouldn't live long but.. shit... I got to have a clone. I get to literally watch myself grow. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured