Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Son is Gay

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

Just last week, my 13yo ds came home with some news. He said that during phy-ed class, he proclaimed to his classmates that he is gay. I am not entirely surprised, in fact, I have prepared myself for the day for awhile now. I just hadn't planned on it happening in eighth grade.

A little background on my son; he is an extremely friendly, energetic, creative, outgoing sweet kid. He has never been your average rough-and-tumble, sports-loving gross-out your parents type of boy. He is into the arts, drama, speech, and choir. He loves to learn magic tricks and entertain his friends. He is a loyal Boy Scout, active in the church, and has participated in many mission trips and service projects. He makes me a very proud mom.

What I am saying here is that none of that is going to change just because he has come out as gay. He is still the amazing creative loving boy that has always, and will continue to, make me proud.

Thankfully for him, my son is living in a time when he has a better chance of being accepted than he may have even ten years ago. He is still going to be allowed to be a Boy Scout (yay for new rules) and active in our church (yay for the ELCA Lutheran Church) and someday can even marry the person he loves (yay for  Minnesota)

I do realize that I am probably the exception and that makes me sad. I cannot for the life of me understand how parents can disown their child or even treat them any differently for being gay. The Mama Bear in me is, of course, terrified of the bullying and cruel ignorance he will have to face along the way,  but I will stand by him no matter what.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
If my kid told me they were gay i would likely respond with "thats nice dear, what would you loke for supper?"
boltofblue
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I am thrilled for your son, not only because he's being true to himself, but also because he has an undying supporter in you. Thank youfor giving the rest of us hope that maybe one day we can all feel that kind of love and acceptance from the most important people of all.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It will be easier for him to get through that bullying because of you and how you have responded and acted. 

It gives him confidence. 

Good job, mama!

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Hey! We're ELCA too! It's wonderful that you and you're family are so accepting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN