Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Holy crap panic attack... So thankful for my neighbor!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ds and I were eating supper when smoke just started filling the house. I took the cover off the furnace and flames started shooting out. I yelled for my 5 year old to get out of the house. He jumped inside my car while I ran next door to my neighbors house who is the fire chief for our small town. I banged on his door and he ran to it with a gun. I yelled can you please help me my heater is on fire. He told me just a sec, put on his boots, and came running over here. He grabbed water and just stated throwing it on it. Once he got it all out he took all the fuses out and cut the breakers to it. My ds was sitting in the car crying and freaking out. Joe, my neighbor helped me calm him down by just telling him over and over that it was okay and he was a fire fighter. Bf's parents and grandfather who live down the road rushed over here because bf is gone for work. If we would have been sleeping I never would have noticed the smoke and he said we probably would have died from smoke inhalation. it could have been much worse but I thank god we were awake. Thankfully it was put out in time and didn't spread. My neighbor is going to bring me new smoke detectors from the fire house and install them for me tomorrow since apparently mine are outdated and do not work.
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:42 PM

we replace our batteries twice a year, and all detectors every five years.  I'm the only one who wakes up when they go off.  which is scary, because dh is a firefighter.  lmao!

don't forget to get a carbon monoxide detector too.  they're just as important!

Roxanne92
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Wow super scary glad you and your son are ok, it's a good thing your neighbor is the fire chief
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM

WOW

Thank goodness he was there. Change those batteries at least every 6 months

HisLove18
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Yes, very good thing. The poor man must think I'm helpless. I just moved back here in Nov and he has helped me get my car out of the mud, turn my water off when my pipes busted, and now put a fire out. I think I should bake him something really delicious lol

Quoting Roxanne92: Wow super scary glad you and your son are ok, it's a good thing your neighbor is the fire chief
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM
Thank goodness you are all okay. I am terrified of fire.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM
You dont have fire extinguishers?
HisLove18
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM
I just moved in here in Nov and the smoke detector has a red light on it so I thought that meant it was working. I guess I was wrong

Quoting Sassy762:

WOW

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM
How scary! Great job to your ds for listening to you.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Green light is working, Red light is dead. 

Quoting HisLove18: I just moved in here in Nov and the smoke detector has a red light on it so I thought that meant it was working. I guess I was wrong
Quoting Sassy762:

WOW

HisLove18
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:49 PM
We did but it has gone missing.

Quoting notjstasocermom: You dont have fire extinguishers?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN