Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

grand parent names

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:43 AM
  • 185 Replies
This baby will be my mothers first grandchild, so lately she had been somewhat fixated on picking out her "name" (grammy, nana, meme, grandma, etc.) At first I thought it was adorable now I'm just kid of like... Come on mom, don't over complicate things! Just let a name come on it's own! Today she asked me if she could be Momma, and besides feeling like it's too similar to mom/mommy which my baby will obviously call me, I had to tell her it was out because I call my dog "momma dog" or "Franky momma" all the time. Something will click for her eventually, and she will love whatever it is.

How did your parents pick out what they'd like to be called? Did your kids decide for them?
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:47 AM
My mom isn't in ds life but mil is mam mam and both grandpas are papa. He chose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:47 AM
My kids call my mom bama its just the way it came out when they tried to say grandma so it stuck. My oldest DD is 10 and still calls her bama lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:48 AM
My mothers first grandchild called her mini for two years until she decided she like Nonna better and proceeded to seriously confuse the two year old. I think she is nuts and kids will name them eventually anyway.

My niece and nephews call me aunt bob, the first one named me and it has stuck and been passed on to the little ones. And bonus, my mother HATES it.
velvetkitty
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:49 AM
They call my stepdad "grandpa mustache". Everyone else is grandma or grandpa.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:49 AM
We have two grandfathers that are papa. One sounds French and the other sounds more like paw paw. Does yours differentiate the pronunciation between the two?

Quoting Newmom8912: My mom isn't in ds life but mil is mam mam and both grandpas are papa. He chose.
waytomanykids10
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:50 AM
My mother insisted on being called grandmother. My kids don't call her that, they call her "that mean woman". She has nothing to do with my children. My father is dead, we don't call him anything.

My mil gets called nana. That is what she wanted to be called. My fil passed away when my husband was 10. When talking about him we call him pappy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:52 AM
My parents are nene and papa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
definecorrupt
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:52 AM
I can picture exactly what kind of grandmother she must be even from such a short description.

Quoting waytomanykids10: My mother insisted on being called grandmother. My kids don't call her that, they call her "that mean woman". She has nothing to do with my children. My father is dead, we don't call him anything.

My mil gets called nana. That is what she wanted to be called. My fil passed away when my husband was 10. When talking about him we call him pappy.
flaquitabss
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this

haahhaha  that reminds me of my mom...  she was too, picking.... and she came up with "granny"  I said fine....but, life happens, and my oldest daughter calls her "tita" my second daughter calls her "nini" and my third daughter calls her "my betty boo"  hahahahaha  good luck to your mom!!!

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Funny, I was just thinking about this very subject today.

In our family, all the grandparents are just grandma and grandpa or grandpap... Since my kids will have much more time with dh's dad than they got to have with mine (he died a number of years ago) then dh will probably be grandpap.

Now my bff... she really agonized over what her grandma name would be... It seemed each week she came up with a different one and went the whole gamut from nana, to ooma, to meemaw... Each time I just said, "that will be nice" or "that sounds good"... I think she finally settled on "grammy".

If the grandbabies come up with something other than grandma, I'll be ok with it... well, maybe not meemaw... I just don't think I could be meemaw.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured