Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you agree with this bill?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM
  • 53 Replies
Full Site

Bill would place 'sex offender' on convicted offender's license - WKRN, Nashville News, Nashville Weather and Sports

Share Share Share More
Bill would place 'sex offender' on convicted offender's license

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 6:44 AM EST
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -
Should sex offenders have the status marked on their driver's license in Tennessee?

The idea received a good bit of debate Wednesday on Capitol Hill.

A new bill would require the words "sex offender" to be stamped on a convicted offender's driver's license in red three times.

It would increase state expenditures one time by $150,000.

The sponsor of the House bill, Rep. Matthew Hill of Jonesborough, told a sub-committee he got the idea from a constituent at a daycare where people have to show identification to be on a list to pick up children.

Critics pointed out the stamp would open offenders up to another level of ridicule.

The bill, first filed in late January, was put on hold to give lawmakers time to think.

Click here to read more about HB 1747.

More on the Web
HB 1747: Sex offender on driver's license bill
Sign In or Sign Up for an account.
Comments

Showing 2 commentsSort By
David
20 mins ago0
Share | Flag
Absolutely for it ! Our Children and others should be protected, NOT the offender !
Jackie
21 mins ago0
Share | Flag
$150K, think about it? So if they are not picking up kids at a daycare type facility or being pulled over for a driving offense, what is the point? A waste of money. They need it tattooed on their forehead or put away forever, you cannot rehabilitate them.

All content © 2001 - 2014 Worldnow. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy. and Terms of Service.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/24837531/sex-offender-license-bill
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briellesmomma
by Velvet on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:07 AM
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1747
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM

I don't really see why it would matter to the average peson.

How often do you ask to see someones identification?

So I guess I wouldn't really care. 

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Perfectly fine with me. Aww, a sex offender has to be embarrassed sometimes? What a shame...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM
3 moms liked this

My only problem with it is that if you get caught whizzing in the alley or having sex with your underage girlfriend, you get charged as a sex offender.

LisaRoyNKaden
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Exactly this.... its a messed up system.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

My only problem with it is that if you get caught whizzing in the alley or having sex with your underage girlfriend, you get charged as a sex offender.

PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Considering that in some states, a person taking a pee outside in a bush and getting caught can be arrested for "indecent exposure" and labeled a sex offender, I'm failing to see why this bill NEEDS to pass.

Not all sex offenders are alike nor is the reason they were labeled as such the same.

On the fence on this bill.

ChicagoMimi
by Mimi on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Why is it wrong for it to be illegal to have sex with an underage girlfriend? The important word is "underage".

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. I have no problem with my child being in daycare or on a sports team or whatever with another child whose parent drunkenly peed outside in college, but I do have a problem with someone who molested a 5 year old child. Both are sex offender registry but I'm pretty sure only one is a potential danger to my child. 

Quoting PPCLC:

Considering that in some states, a person taking a pee outside in a bush and getting caught can be arrested for "indecent exposure" and labeled a sex offender, I'm failing to see why this bill NEEDS to pass.

Not all sex offenders are alike nor is the reason they were labeled as such the same.

On the fence on this bill.

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Because I knew two 18yo boys who were charged as sex offenders for having sex with the 16yo girlfriends.  They get to carry that label for the rest of their life.

Quoting ChicagoMimi:

Why is it wrong for it to be illegal to have sex with an underage girlfriend? The important word is "underage".

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)