Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Staff hugging your kid at school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 272 Replies
3 moms liked this
Are you okay with it?

I work at an elementary and we get hugs from kids all day long. My male co-worker posted on FB he teaches the boys that little guys shake hands, not hug. The kids are all under eleven. He said he doesn't want one mistaking a hug for a "bad touch." But then he still lets the girls hug him. Idk... It seems a little extreme.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onaflowers
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM
52 moms liked this
I dont have a problem with it, but it is probably a smart thing for him to do. Bitches be crazy.
bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM
19 moms liked this

I wouldn't mind, but I do understand where his caution comes from. (Seems like it should go both ways though)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM
4 moms liked this

i wouldn't mind if it was a sideways hug, arm around the shoulder type thing. little kids especially need to have arms around them sometimes.

i know when i was in college i had to observe a classroom and i was terrified to touch the kids because honestly we weren't really supposed to. but on my last couple visits the kids all wanted hugs. my teacher i was observing told me to loosen up and that it was ok lol. I just didn't want to overstep any boundaries, but i did like those kids.

edit: if i were a teacher though, i would make sure the rule was consistent and equal among boys and girls. if the boys can only shake hands, so can the girls. if the girls can get an arm around the shoulder or a little quick hug, so can the boys. at elementary age, that needs to be the same.

MelissaBabeh14
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM
16 moms liked this
What is this world coming to lol now, its a debate wether or not teachers should hug their students... man i miss the old days!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds' teachers and aides kiss him on the head all the time and hug him. I have no issues with it.
KnittinMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM
7 moms liked this
A lot of the moms in here are the reason for his caution. Yes a certain level of caution is necessary, but teachers should be able to take what comes on a daily basis without fearing some psycho mom screaming abuse. Kids like to hug. Mine hug all the time. Actually my six year old has boundary issues and no sense of personal space so I'm sure a lot of her school has had hugs from her lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm fine with it. I have very affectionate kids. My 5 year old is autistic, but still very affectionate. He kisses his paras. At first they seemed worried, but I told them that if they are comfortable with it and they aren't sick, I don't mind. To me, that means my non-verbal son loves & trusts them. He doesn't kiss people he doesn't like, so in turn that makes me more comfortable with him at school. He's happy there & being cared for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM
7 moms liked this
It's weird to me that he worries about bad touch with boys but not girls...that just seems off to me.
Maries_Mom23
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I know, right?  When I was in elementary school, I had the best principal. She wasn't one of those principals you only saw a time or two.  Every single morning, she was on the sidewalk, greeting kids.  Most of the time with a big hug!  

Quoting MelissaBabeh14: What is this world coming to lol now, its a debate wether or not teachers should hug their students... man i miss the old days!

Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
That's sad that this even has to be a question. Parents be crazy y'all. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)