Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hey you! Get in here!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Amy
  • 14 Replies

My son turned 2 in November.

Every time he goes potty in his diaper he is aware of it and says "Mommy, yucky." and he usually starts taking off his pants.

I have a potty for him and I have him sit on it and I will talk to him while he is on it and I have read him a story while hes sitting on it so he is comfortable with it.

He doesn't understand that we go 'potty' in there instead of our diaper though. I'm not pushing it on him at all, I just want him to feel comfortable on the potty because he has shown signs that he is ready but I don't want to push it on him by any means. I'm in no rush to potty train him because they grow so quickly to begin with so I won't force it upon him I just don't know how this whole potty training thing works lol!

So do I just wait until one of these times while hes sitting on it and goes to the bathroom? Of course if he did I would yay! Good job! Do I just wait for that to happen though?

He is my first son. My mom only has tips to put cheerios inside of it that he can aim for while peeing, which of course is great advice IMO but of course that won't be until hes a bit older.

Do you have any other tips for me? 

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x.Aim.x
by Amy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Bump

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Mine was like that. When they're ready they'll do it. Just keep introducing but not forcing. We've gone two days with only two accidents so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:54 AM
I agree with this. Don't force because it can make it so difficult but when he's ready he will do it!

Quoting kitty8199: Mine was like that. When they're ready they'll do it. Just keep introducing but not forcing. We've gone two days with only two accidents so far.
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:54 AM
I agree with this. Don't force because it can make it so difficult but when he's ready he will do it!

Quoting kitty8199: Mine was like that. When they're ready they'll do it. Just keep introducing but not forcing. We've gone two days with only two accidents so far.
x.Aim.x
by Amy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM

That's awesome! Yea I definitely don't want to force him I just wanted to introduce it to him since he takes off his diaper and doesn't like going in his pants.

I sit him on the potty and he will talk and look at his book. I know that once he goes in the potty he will continue going on it (of course he may have accidents on occasion) it's just waiting for him to do it. I'm not in a rush, they grow so quickly to begin with!

How old is your child? 

x.Aim.x
by Amy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Yea I definitely don't want to force him I just wanted to introduce it to him since he takes off his diaper and doesn't like going in his pants.

I sit him on the potty and he will talk and look at his book. I know that once he goes in the potty he will continue going on it (of course he may have accidents on occasion) it's just waiting for him to do it. I'm not in a rush, they grow so quickly to begin with!

So one day will he just go in it one of these times? lol! 

Quoting Maxi_Maxi: I agree with this. Don't force because it can make it so difficult but when he's ready he will do it!

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM
She'll be three next month. She just absolutely refused until now to go.

Quoting x.Aim.x:

That's awesome! Yea I definitely don't want to force him I just wanted to introduce it to him since he takes off his diaper and doesn't like going in his pants.

How old is your child? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I agree with previous posters...whatever you do, don't try to force it. I inadvertently forced my daughter in public because I was worried about her having an accident and she stopped using the potty for over 4 months and stopped using her toddler potty at all. I had to put her back in diapers during those months and eventually buy a toilet ring.

x.Aim.x
by Amy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Oh my. Yea I definitely don't want to force him. I just don't know how the whole potty training works. I want him to be comfortable with the potty and not force it onto him. (They grow so quickly to begin with.) He shows signs he is ready so I started sitting him on the potty so when hes ready he will use it. Do they just use it one day randomly though while sitting on it? 

Quoting The_Doodle:

I agree with previous posters...whatever you do, don't try to force it. I inadvertently forced my daughter in public because I was worried about her having an accident and she stopped using the potty for over 4 months and stopped using her toddler potty at all. I had to put her back in diapers during those months and eventually buy a toilet ring.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM

My daughter started waking up with a dry diaper and one morning she pulled her diaper off, sat on the potty, and peed with no coaxing from me. This was when she was roughly 2.5 years old. After her strike and to this day (3.5 years old) she will sometimes go to the bathroom on her own and sometimes we have to urge her to go. The thing that really  held me back is that I was doing what everyone else told me to do...which was sit her on the toilet every hour or 30 minutes or whatever time (I tried a few different time frames). It would just piss her off. I just got used to looking for her cues that she had to pee or poo and would take her to the bathroom then.

Quoting x.Aim.x:

Oh my. Yea I definitely don't want to force him. I just don't know how the whole potty training works. I want him to be comfortable with the potty and not force it onto him. (They grow so quickly to begin with.) He shows signs he is ready so I started sitting him on the potty so when hes ready he will use it. Do they just use it one day randomly though while sitting on it? 

Quoting The_Doodle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)