Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DD has some friends that I'm not sure about

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
DD has some friends down the street who she likes playing with, she is 9. One of the girls is 14 (IMO way too old for her to be playing with) and the other is 12. These girls are homeschooled (which I'm all for) unfortunately their parents are never home and according to DD, they never do schoolwork. They stay home by themselves until 7-8 pm. They are constantly coming over inviting themselves to play, eat dinner, stay the night, etc. I don't ever allow DD to go to their house because the parents are never there, and even if they were I still wouldn't let her. They are ALWAYS here. I feel really bad for them, but also sort of don't want them hanging out with DD. Should I allow them to keep hanging out and playing or tell DD no more of these friends?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM
I would only let her play with them at our house. They probably are too old for a 9 yo to play with them, but I would feel so sorry for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I really do feel so bad for them. I think I might set a time limit or something on how long they can play

Quoting almondpigeon: I would only let her play with them at our house. They probably are too old for a 9 yo to play with them, but I would feel so sorry for them.
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Normally I'd so fuck no to strays, but those kids need some type of parental influence in their lives. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Joie35
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM
I wouldnt worry too much about the age thing. When my kids are at my exs place they hang out with kids who range from like 5 (my youngest daughter) all the way up to like to 17. All the neighborhood kids tend to mingle and play man hunt together or just sit and visit in driveways.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I would call CPS, if they're homeschooled they have standards to adhere to and if they;re not meeting those standards then their parents can get in really big trouble.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM
The kids haven't done anything wrong and if they have had limited social interaction they may also be in your DD's level socially.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Sounds like the parents are at work and leave the girls home alone, under the pretense of homeschooling. I would call CPS for an investigation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM
What baffles me is that the dad doesn't work (according to DD) but he is always gone?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like the parents are at work and leave the girls home alone, under the pretense of homeschooling. I would call CPS for an investigation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Weird. Who is doing the homeschooling then?

Quoting Anonymous: What baffles me is that the dad doesn't work (according to DD) but he is always gone?!
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM
They don't receive any schooling as far as I know. The dad could, because he doesn't have a job, but is always gone!

Quoting Anonymous:

Weird. Who is doing the homeschooling then?

Quoting Anonymous: What baffles me is that the dad doesn't work (according to DD) but he is always gone?!
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)