Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Prom Dress Restrictions

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 201 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you think it is a good thing?

Options:

Yes

No

Purple Minion

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 292

View Results

A school here locally is in the news for putting in place restrictions on prom attire.  The students are fighting it because it wasn't in the student handbook they were given at the beginning of the year it shouldn't count for this year because many of them already have their dresses.  The restrictions included no cut-outs, no sweetheart neckline, no converse sneakers and dresses must hit the knee.

Do you think it is fair?

I think it is great, prom dresses are getting downright inappropriate anymore.  I have two girls (young, ages 6 and 19 months) and I can't imagine them ever wearing some of these dresses the kids wear now.  You can still have a great night without everything hanging out.

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM
There should absolutely be a dress code.

If they don't like how strict it is, too bad, so sad.
articmom
by IceQueen on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM
4 moms liked this
If it wasn't in place in the beginning I would be pissed my dress was 800 and had a sweet heart neck line , and I wore converse underneath because it was huge and puffy .
cymkare
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM
9 moms liked this

I am fine with it. Prom dresses are getting very trashy lately. It's supposed to be a formal dress, not lingerie. 

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this
It's no different than the normal dress code rules most schools have.
What's sad is that a school has to step in and do this because a parent shouldn't allow their kids to go out in anything as inappropriate as the prom dresses I've seen.
Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I originally typed trashy in my post but switched it to inappropriate. lol

Quoting cymkare:

I am fine with it. Prom dresses are getting very trashy lately. It's supposed to be a formal dress, not lingerie. 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM
16 moms liked this

I put no...but really it is other. No cut outs and a certain length. Sure. No sweetheart neckline or converse sneakers?  Ridiculous. 

HisLove18
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
What's wrong with wearing converse? Plenty of girls dont feel like walking/ dancing in heels all night.

I wore my Justin's
Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It's because so many parents are their kids friends first and parent second.

Quoting Cbreland07: It's no different than the normal dress code rules most schools have. What's sad is that a school has to step in and do this because a parent shouldn't allow their kids to go out in anything as inappropriate as the prom dresses I've seen.

Chunkymunkey922
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I agree with a prom dress code. Some of the dresses I've seen are very inappropriate for teen girls. I'm 27 and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing some of the stuff I've seen outside my bedroom. I just don't get the short poofy dress thing. It's supposed to be a nice formal dress.
CorbinsMumma
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Mobile Photo

but I wanted to wear this one!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)