Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The things people did

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

before we knew better.

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I just don't get how people didn't know that it wasn't ok for the babies! I understand it was before cancer was talked about, but come on!

bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I have no idea, what was or wasn't assumed then. But I think every adult I knew growing up smoked.

Quoting brvdsmom:

I just don't get how people didn't know that it wasn't ok for the babies! I understand it was before cancer was talked about, but come on!

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Oh yeah. When I was a kid, almost every grown up I knew smoked. I would go to a friend's house and their mom or dad or even both would be smoking in their living room or kitchen. My mom smoked inside my whole childhood.

I was so used to it that I didn't realize how bad smoke stunk until I moved out of my mom's. It was after I moved out that I realized I get migraines from smoke.

Quoting bcoll:

I have no idea, what was or wasn't assumed then. But I think every adult I knew growing up smoked.

Quoting brvdsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Awful huh? Lol

Quoting Devious333: Oh yeah. When I was a kid, almost every grown up I knew smoked. I would go to a friend's house and their mom or dad or even both would be smoking in their living room or kitchen. My mom smoked inside my whole childhood. I was so used to it that I didn't realize how bad smoke stunk until I moved out of my mom's. It was after I moved out that I realized I get migraines from smoke.
Quoting bcoll:

Quoting brvdsmom:

cbk_mom3
by JayTayGma on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Just crazy. I know how bad second hand smoke is. My Grandfather smoked the entire 62 years he and my Grandma were married before he passed away. Granny never smoked a cigarette in her life, and she's the one who died from lung cancer, due to 2nd hand smoke. At least we know better now.

Freela
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM

My mom always talks about how when she would take me places as an infant, she would lay me on the seat next to her, and put her hand on my to keep me from rolling off when she put the brakes on.  I'm 36.  She said they did sell 'car seats' but they didn't attach to the car so she didn't think it was worth it to buy one.

flywifey86
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM
we used to wander all over town from the age of right growing up and every adult i knew smoked cigarettes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:04 PM
It was socially acceptable at the time. like many things that are socially acceptable now birth control for teens, pre martial sex etc.. is the norm now.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I have similar pics of my family from that same time. Crazy, huh?
JustMeKat
When someone sings her own praises, She always gets the tune too high. ~Mary H. Waldrip
Yesterday at 9:39 PM
by Kat on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

We rode bikes without helmets

rode in cars without seat belts god forbid the back of a truck

played dodgball, tag, monkey bars without mats

played outside until the street lights came on

walked to school

swam without floaters

I could go on forever an guess what I'm still alive !!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)