Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Minivan Moms! *ETA*

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
  • 70 Replies

I'm looking at minivans and it's very tough because I've always driven a Chevy, my husband has always driven a Chevy, we grew up in Chevy families so we're quite trusting of the GM line lol.

However, there's no minivans in the Chevy family anymore so I'm looking at a Dodge Caravan.  I rented one a few years ago for a trip and I really quite enjoyed it so I'm curious what others think of their vans. 
ETA: I know I definitely want the stow-and-go seating and the captain-style chairs; we don't need the fancy stuff like the built-in DVD players, etc.

Do you have a minivan?  What make and model?  What are some pros and cons?  

Note:  I do not want a crossover for a few reasons, so there's no point in suggesting them..I just don't like them. 

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebug8526
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM
I have Chevy minivan its an 04 however we are long for a new one. Your dodges don't have much. It depends on what u all want
LDavis33
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Honda Odyssey.  Love it.  We tested drove a couple of different makes, but chose the Honda because it retains its value much better than the others.  

One little bit of advice though, if you drive on gravel roads a lot, be prepared to spend some extra time cleaning the power sliding doors in order to prevent them from getting damaged.  We were not warned about this at the dealership and learned this the hard way.  We have to clean all the gears every couple of weeks or they end up wearing out.  I would think though that this probably applies to any minivan with power sliding doors.

JadensMommy2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I love my Honda Odyssey. We had a Dodge Caravan and it had major transmission issues, which is why we traded it in.  

kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Which one do you have?  I was walking the other day and passed a dealership near us and they have a Chevy Venture on the lot - I didn't stop and look at it at all because I had the kids with me in the wagon but I'm curious about it.  I'm really leaning towards buying new but, depending on the vehicle, I'd be open to buying used.

I know I definitely want the stow-and-go seats and captain-style chairs but I don't need things like the built-in DVD players or anything fancy.

Quoting lovebug8526: I have Chevy minivan its an 04 however we are long for a new one. Your dodges don't have much. It depends on what u all want

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM
We have a dodge grand caravan. It's an 04 with 60,000 miles. It's only had 1 problem the 5 years we've had it and it only cost 100 or so to fix. We like it.
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Oh I never would've thought about that!  That's really good to know, thank you.  Luckily we don't have gravel roads near us..we're in a city (Hampton Roads, VA area) so I definitely want good gas mileage...which I know is tough lol.

What are some of the features you like/dislike about your Odyssey?

Quoting LDavis33:

Honda Odyssey.  Love it.  We tested drove a couple of different makes, but chose the Honda because it retains its value much better than the others.  

One little bit of advice though, if you drive on gravel roads a lot, be prepared to spend some extra time cleaning the power sliding doors in order to prevent them from getting damaged.  We were not warned about this at the dealership and learned this the hard way.  We have to clean all the gears every couple of weeks or they end up wearing out.  I would think though that this probably applies to any minivan with power sliding doors.

kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM

What year was your Dodge that you had problems with?

What do you like/dislike about your Odyssey?

Quoting JadensMommy2:

I love my Honda Odyssey. We had a Dodge Caravan and it had major transmission issues, which is why we traded it in.  

kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM

What was the problem your Caravan had?  What do you like/dislike about it?

Quoting norahsmommy: We have a dodge grand caravan. It's an 04 with 60,000 miles. It's only had 1 problem the 5 years we've had it and it only cost 100 or so to fix. We like it.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:50 AM
I want one SO bad. I also rented a dodge caravan a year or 2 ago it was nice!
I have my eye on the toyota sienna, but mainly the honda odyssey.
When I get one, power doors and liftgate are a must! Oh and blue tooth for the phone.
Hondas and toyotas seem to have a nice long life.
almburr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
We still have a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan. It still runs great. It had one problem back in 05 something with a belt. $75 fix. Still going strong.

Quoting norahsmommy: We have a dodge grand caravan. It's an 04 with 60,000 miles. It's only had 1 problem the 5 years we've had it and it only cost 100 or so to fix. We like it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)