Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your iPhone affected your ability to function as a proper human being?

Posted by   + Show Post

7 Ways Your iPhone Is Ruining Your Life

by Jenny Erikson

The other day on Facebook, one of my friends posted a question from Reddit that asked, “If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?”

The best answer was, “I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.

True story, my friends. As awesome as technology is, there are a lot of ways that your iPhone (or Android or Windows phone or enter-smartphone-of-choice) is ruining your life.

We’re All ADD Now: Delayed gratification? What’s that? Seriously, you get antsy if you’re in a 3G instead of a 4G area and your webpages take more than 10 seconds to load.

Your Conversation Skills Have Atrophied: Once you’ve started saying “el-oh-el” out loud in response to something humorous, you’re a goner.

It’s Causing Sleep Deprivation: Apparently those bright screens are preventing you from feeling tired. The artificial light emitted from the screen can actually prevent melatonin production in your body, which is the major hormone that controls your sleep cycles.

It’s Killing Romance: If you’re not careful, your iPhone will negatively affect your relationship with your significant other. Spending all your time pinning to your wedding board when you got married a decade ago instead of with your love is hardly the way to stay connected.

Your Memory Is Shot: Do you know your best friend’s phone number? What color shirt your kid wore on the first day of school? Directions to anywhere new you’ve been in the past few years? Me neither.

Two Words. Candy. Crush: Or Flappy Bird. Or Plants vs. Zombies. Or the classic Angry Birds. You sit down to play one of these mindlessly entertaining little games and all of a sudden it’s three hours later, the kids have destroyed the house, and your husband wants to know when’s dinner?

It Can Get You Fired: Be careful what your post to Facebook or Instagram. Always assume your boss has access to your status updates. Because screenshots are forever.

Has your iPhone affected your ability to function as a proper human being?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM
lol no. I Dont use my phone at work. I always go to bed around 10. I Dont use internet acronyms like l-o-l in real life... I Dont play games on my phone, occasionally I go on CM and pinterest and facebook.. I remember all of the phone number of the people who I contact on a regular basis.. And it doesnt affect my personal relationships.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Honestly, I thinks smartphones are a social nuisance.
countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, but that's not exactly the kind of spelling mistakes I'm talking about. 

R u comng 2 tha store? i dont no r u gong? idk i mite go to da movies an go to da store lata <---that's more along the lines of what I was referring to. Not simple auto correct mistakes. 

Quoting ncbirdie:

I never had spelling problems when I had an actual keypad to work with.  If I don't pay super close attention, I often wind up with k instead of l, m instead of n, etc.  I'm greatful that I turned off auto-correct when I first got my phone.  So, if I get a letter wrong my phone eventually stops giving me suggestions for what I might be trying to type and I'm able to go back and fix it.  It's frustrating, though, when it constantly makes the same error over and over.

Quoting countrymomma81:

I've never had an iPhone but I do have a smart phone. I can honestly say that none of these ring true for me. DH and I don't bring our cell phones into our room. I'm mature with my Facebook and Instagram and make sure never to post anything that could get me into trouble (I'm a SAHM, but still). 

I think they forgot to mention that having any sort of phone automatically seems to turn people into the worst spellers ever. Don't even get me started on punctuation. Mine may not be perfect but at least I try and make the effort. 

wedding countdown
Tatiana7
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM

As a deaf person, it's one lifeline in case I need help.  I love the ability to text! I'm also thankful for maps.  Small blessings!

ncbirdie
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I see what you're talking about.  That stemmed from early on where you had a limit of how many characters you could put into a single message.

Quoting countrymomma81:

R u comng 2 tha store? i dont no r u gong? idk i mite go to da movies an go to da store lata <---that's more along the lines of what I was referring to. Not simple auto correct mistakes. 

Quoting ncbirdie:

I never had spelling problems when I had an actual keypad to work with.  If I don't pay super close attention, I often wind up with k instead of l, m instead of n, etc.  I'm greatful that I turned off auto-correct when I first got my phone.  So, if I get a letter wrong my phone eventually stops giving me suggestions for what I might be trying to type and I'm able to go back and fix it.  It's frustrating, though, when it constantly makes the same error over and over.

Quoting countrymomma81:

I've never had an iPhone but I do have a smart phone. I can honestly say that none of these ring true for me. DH and I don't bring our cell phones into our room. I'm mature with my Facebook and Instagram and make sure never to post anything that could get me into trouble (I'm a SAHM, but still). 

I think they forgot to mention that having any sort of phone automatically seems to turn people into the worst spellers ever. Don't even get me started on punctuation. Mine may not be perfect but at least I try and make the effort. 

jslpruitt
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM

no it hasnt. atleast not yet

countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I'm mostly talking about teens and young adults who grew up on iPhones. There were never any restrictions on those devices. It's laziness at this point. 

Quoting ncbirdie:

I see what you're talking about.  That stemmed from early on where you had a limit of how many characters you could put into a single message.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting ncbirdie:

Quoting countrymomma81:

wedding countdown
VeggieRunnerMom
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

"The best answer was, “I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

I am only 36 and it was said when I was in school "you have to learn math because you will never carry a calculator in your pocket all the time" Ha Ha :)

"Your Memory Is Shot: Do you know your best friend’s phone number? What color shirt your kid wore on the first day of school? Directions to anywhere new you’ve been in the past few years? Me neither."

TRUTH!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I don't allow cell phones at the table.  And one night, me, hubby, our 3 older kids, a daughter in law, a girlfriend and our 3 year old were at dinner.  We were laughing and having a very nice dinner.  One of the boys (the older kids) suddenly said, "hey mom - thanks".  When I wondered why, they all cimed in - "because you don't allow phones at the table". Then one of them mentioned to the family behind us - not one of them had said a word to each other because the mom, dad, grandma and two kids were all too freaking interested in their blasted phones/tablets...  It was disgusting. 

And, I get furious with the idiots who text and drive.  Get off the phone and drive or pull over and text.  I even saw some moron sideswipe another car - because he was texting.  Not paying a bit of attention to driving.  And, I'll lay on the horn when someone's not paying attention.  And, I'll call it into the police,  You're stupid ass is putting the rest of us in danger.  It's worse than drunk driving.  At least drunk drivers are attemping to pay attention to the road. 

I read a story written oh, about 40-50 years ago about people who only communicated over via video images.  Never in person.  Even children were concieved an artificial wombs and labs and raised in creches - alone.  Scared the crap out of me.  And, it's even more scary now that it's coming to pass.  Sometimes old scifi is just down right eerie in it's ability to predict the future.  Better than Nostradomus. 

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I only recently got a smart phone, and only have had a cell phone for a few years longer. I know phone numbers by heart for anyone who hasn't changed his number in five years, I hate the voice nav on the phone so I just look up and memorize directions in advance, and I don't play any of the addicting bird games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)