Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your iPhone affected your ability to function as a proper human being?

Posted by   + Show Post

7 Ways Your iPhone Is Ruining Your Life

by Jenny Erikson

The other day on Facebook, one of my friends posted a question from Reddit that asked, “If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?”

The best answer was, “I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.

True story, my friends. As awesome as technology is, there are a lot of ways that your iPhone (or Android or Windows phone or enter-smartphone-of-choice) is ruining your life.

We’re All ADD Now: Delayed gratification? What’s that? Seriously, you get antsy if you’re in a 3G instead of a 4G area and your webpages take more than 10 seconds to load.

Your Conversation Skills Have Atrophied: Once you’ve started saying “el-oh-el” out loud in response to something humorous, you’re a goner.

It’s Causing Sleep Deprivation: Apparently those bright screens are preventing you from feeling tired. The artificial light emitted from the screen can actually prevent melatonin production in your body, which is the major hormone that controls your sleep cycles.

It’s Killing Romance: If you’re not careful, your iPhone will negatively affect your relationship with your significant other. Spending all your time pinning to your wedding board when you got married a decade ago instead of with your love is hardly the way to stay connected.

Your Memory Is Shot: Do you know your best friend’s phone number? What color shirt your kid wore on the first day of school? Directions to anywhere new you’ve been in the past few years? Me neither.

Two Words. Candy. Crush: Or Flappy Bird. Or Plants vs. Zombies. Or the classic Angry Birds. You sit down to play one of these mindlessly entertaining little games and all of a sudden it’s three hours later, the kids have destroyed the house, and your husband wants to know when’s dinner?

It Can Get You Fired: Be careful what your post to Facebook or Instagram. Always assume your boss has access to your status updates. Because screenshots are forever.

Has your iPhone affected your ability to function as a proper human being?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Saharra
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I actually have told people I don't have texting on my plan because I was tired of not getting phone calls. The only ones I text are close family.
But I do use my phone a LOT. I almost wish I didn't have it. But.... Lol. I do know when not to use it, but I do make excuses when I don't want to do something and use it.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Apparently it's not :)
Maybe the memory thing because obviously I don't need to learn phone numbers or remember appointments anymore. Use it or loose it, right? But it hasn't been that bad either.
I turn off my phone at least an hour before going to sleep, I don't have Candy Crush, and I don't have a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account!
JRSMOM0621
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Nope.. infact it just makes me frustrated when I am on a phone call and it says failed when I have full service. My husband on the other hand does not have an Iphone but all of these describe him to a "T"

cindilou13
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I'm trying to decide if the writer is being sarcastic or really experiences these things.  I don't find any of those to be true, but as with many things...moderation is the key.   I know when/what things are appopriate and have self-control.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Even before I had a phone I couldn't remember my bests friends number. I do remember the color of my kids shirt though.
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM

No.I know when to put it away.I realize that my phone is not actually connected to my fingers,unlike some people.It's so annoying to see people CONSTANTLY texting or looking at their phone.Can't you go 5 minutes without looking to see what you've missed on FB/Twitter?!

seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM
No, not really. I love my iphone and all the things I can do with it, but I know when to put it away.
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

You got me on sleep deprivation and Candy Crush. They actually go hand in hand for me, LOL!

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM
>.>

<.<
xcrystal88
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I deff agree that it is killing romance! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN