Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your iPhone affected your ability to function as a proper human being?

Posted by   + Show Post

7 Ways Your iPhone Is Ruining Your Life

by Jenny Erikson

The other day on Facebook, one of my friends posted a question from Reddit that asked, “If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?”

The best answer was, “I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers.

True story, my friends. As awesome as technology is, there are a lot of ways that your iPhone (or Android or Windows phone or enter-smartphone-of-choice) is ruining your life.

We’re All ADD Now: Delayed gratification? What’s that? Seriously, you get antsy if you’re in a 3G instead of a 4G area and your webpages take more than 10 seconds to load.

Your Conversation Skills Have Atrophied: Once you’ve started saying “el-oh-el” out loud in response to something humorous, you’re a goner.

It’s Causing Sleep Deprivation: Apparently those bright screens are preventing you from feeling tired. The artificial light emitted from the screen can actually prevent melatonin production in your body, which is the major hormone that controls your sleep cycles.

It’s Killing Romance: If you’re not careful, your iPhone will negatively affect your relationship with your significant other. Spending all your time pinning to your wedding board when you got married a decade ago instead of with your love is hardly the way to stay connected.

Your Memory Is Shot: Do you know your best friend’s phone number? What color shirt your kid wore on the first day of school? Directions to anywhere new you’ve been in the past few years? Me neither.

Two Words. Candy. Crush: Or Flappy Bird. Or Plants vs. Zombies. Or the classic Angry Birds. You sit down to play one of these mindlessly entertaining little games and all of a sudden it’s three hours later, the kids have destroyed the house, and your husband wants to know when’s dinner?

It Can Get You Fired: Be careful what your post to Facebook or Instagram. Always assume your boss has access to your status updates. Because screenshots are forever.

Has your iPhone affected your ability to function as a proper human being?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
GarysGirl85
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM

No, my phone hasn't taken over my life. I know when to set it down and enjoy real life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I have a friend who literally never puts her phone away, it's really annoying. Every time we hang out it's selfies for her instagram or twitter or snap chat and then she's tagging herself and us at a location and then it's pics of our "amazeballs dinner!". It. Is. Infuriating! I seriously just want to rip her phone out of her hands and hurl it into the river one day. I don't even have a smart phone because I hate them. Phones are for making phone calls, if I am going somewhere I need to wait there I have a book in my purse and another book of cross word puzzles, I have maps in my car, and I have all of the numbers of important contacts memorized.

yummypeaches
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I don't own a smart phone so no lol. All my phone does is text and make phone calls, it doesn't even have a camera! I use my kindle if I want to be mobile while I'm away from home.

Brielle.Jude
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM
I have to admit, im slightly addicted to my phone. But i know when to put it down.
supastars
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:14 PM
So true about the memory thing. I used to be able to memorize everything: phone numbers, account numbers, birthdays, addresses, etc. Now I can't remember anything!
momngram
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

BentoMommy
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:26 PM

My BF is on his constantly and it makes me depressed.  All he can ever say when he gets home is "I saw this on iFunny" or "iFunny has this interesting post today."  He checks his phone every few minutes at work and when he is at home it's next to him the entire time, no matter what he's doing.  I really just want to stick it in the garbage disposal so we can actually have an evening together.  He won't even put the thing away when we're out to dinner.  It's like he's in love with the damn thing and when I told him "if you love it so much, why don't you marry it?" (90s kid thing...) he just laughs as if I'm joking it even though I'm not saying it in a sarcastic tone.  I really wish I had some way to tell him to dump the thing when we're together.

drowningmama
by vendetta on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I dont have an iPhone but ever since my friend and coworker got one 2 years ago its like Im not exisitient.  She used to talk to me and now all she does is stare at her phone.  My dh is the same but its not as bad with him.

Serena1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I just tripped over a wet floor sign reading this, so, yes.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Totally guilty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)