Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Her first detention and I dont think she should be in detention....**UPDATE***

DD has never been a trouble maker. she is non violent, not agressive at all (actually tends to be taken advantage of, and lets the kids get aggressive and violent with her with no retaliation) she usually responds to bullying and/or anger by having an anxiety attack and running away. 

she had a poster project this week, and she was bringing it to class yesterday, it was rolled up and she was trying to get it into class. she accidentally turned around and bumped another kid with the poster. now, its not a big giant one, its not heavy. its basically paper. but this kid threw a huge fit about it, but when the teacher talked to DD about it, and DD tried to say it was an accident and she said sorry, the teacher said 'we dont hurt other students, you are going to detention' 

I feel torn between momma bear going up to the school and demanding to know whats going on with this teacher (this isnt the first time DD tried to talk to her and the teacher blew her off) 

but also torn between cutting the cord and letting DD learn the realities of the world, that life is not always fair, and sometimes shit happens. 

what do you think??? 

ok so i talked to the teacher after school today. 

and my non violent, non agressive, usually bullied, little doormat of a girl, is aparently all of a sudden punching and kicking and pushing all the kids. 

she has been with this teacher for 3 weeks now. and this is the first time i have EVER heard of her being physical! ever, in any grade, by any teacher!

But the teacher says she always makes sure there is witnesses so that it is not a he said she said. 

I went to the office and have set up an IEP meeting for monday morning. 

Because there are 2 possibilities going through my mind. 

either A, DD is indeed becoming agressive and i need to know WHY, and WHAT is going on in that classroom to make her suddenly agressive and violent. 

or B, it is indeed an accident when she bumps into someone or turns around too fast (which is what she told me, which i dont really doubt because she is a clumsy little thing) and the kids all back eachother up and say 'oh yeah she pushed on purpose!!'

That happened to me as a child. one kid would make some shit up, and all the other kids would back them up. 

i was the weird kid nobody liked. my daughter is also the weird kid, though im thankful she has a few friends. 

but i will NOT just let those brats treat her like this. 

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
ShesALady
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM
I hate when that kind of stuff happens. I just tell my kids life isn't always fair and sometimes we have to deal with it.
JuneCleaver256
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Yes life isn't always fair, but the lesson is teach is to stand up for yourself and not be a doormat to a corrupt system. Don't raise a sheep. I'd also ask the teacher if she ever steps on a child's foot accidentally if this is considered assault?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

DD has never been a trouble maker. she is non violent, not agressive at all (actually tends to be taken advantage of, and lets the kids get aggressive and violent with her with no retaliation) 

she had a poster project this week, and she was bringing it to class yesterday, it was rolled up and she was trying to get it into class. she accidentally turned around and bumped another kid with the poster. now, its not a big giant one, its not heavy. its basically paper. but this kid threw a huge fit about it, but when the teacher talked to DD about it, and DD tried to say it was an accident and she said sorry, the teacher said 'we dont hurt other students, you are going to detention' 

I feel torn between momma bear going up to the school and demanding to know whats going on with this teacher (this isnt the first time DD tried to talk to her and the teacher blew her off) 

but also torn between cutting the cord and letting DD learn the realities of the world, that life is not always fair, and sometimes shit happens. 

what do you think??? 

Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

unless she intentionally smacked the kid with the poster she should not be punished. if it was an accident and she apologized i'd be down there defending her. but i'd find out what really happened first.

JuneCleaver256
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM
So if the teacher accidentally stepped on a kids toes should we charge her with assault? Maybe suspend her without pay? Yeah life not fair but when did we stop teaching our children to stand up for themselves? What a joke.

Quoting TheSilence: As long as it was just detention I would just let it be. Life sometimes sucks and isn't fair.
Even if we don't mean to hurt someone we have to learn that sorry doesn't undo what's been done.
Now if she was getting into more serious trouble I think I would step in and discuss it.
LadyIQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Detention time equates to supervised homework time in silence. I think she will be fine. But, I would keep an ear out regarding that teacher. She sounds like a piece of work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

It was an accident. She should not be punished for an accident. She did not purposely hurt the other child.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Accident or not, it's freaking paper. I've whapped my students playfully on the head with a rolled up piece of paper before. Unless she hauled back and tried to take him down with the poster, the teacher is being ridiculous and the offended child who pitched a fit needs to be taken down a few notches. I normally defend teachers, but this is stupid.
jujubear1
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Eh, in small incidents like this, I don't step in. Ss got Saturday school once over something pretty dumb, but we didn't want to give him the impression he could come running to us to get out of any punishment any time. He broke a rule, however asinine it may be, so he had to do his time.

One detention isn't going to scar your dd for life.
TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM
A detention isn't comparable to assault charges. If a teacher hit a child in the face accidentally she would definitely have to fill out a report and probably speak to the parents of the child.
When you hurt someone there are consequences.
Children can stand up for themselves, but you can't deny something that happened even if it was accidentally.

Quoting JuneCleaver256: So if the teacher accidentally stepped on a kids toes should we charge her with assault? Maybe suspend her without pay? Yeah life not fair but when did we stop teaching our children to stand up for themselves? What a joke.

Quoting TheSilence: As long as it was just detention I would just let it be. Life sometimes sucks and isn't fair.
Even if we don't mean to hurt someone we have to learn that sorry doesn't undo what's been done.
Now if she was getting into more serious trouble I think I would step in and discuss it.
4Dragons
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I once got detention because my friend cheated on a spelling test. Yep. Her, not me. I was guilty by association. It sucked, but my parents didn't do anything, and nothing came of it except I spent some time after school one day and got over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)