Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Your childhood home

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies

Did you grow up in a confortable, clean home?  I did.  But my very best friend from the ages of 8-16 did not.  At least I am pretty sure she didn't. We grew up six houses apart. She was an only child and I had four siblings. Her parents were great to my entire family.  They took us kids to fairs,the beach,the zoo, etc. and occassionally, they would take my mother to pick up her medication. My mom allowed us to invite my (really our) best friend over whenever we wanted. Looking back, we had many happy memories growing up together.......but I realize that we only ever visited my friend OUTSIDE of her home.  This was for each of her birthday parties, cookouts, etc.  We never once set foot inside her home.  Winter or summer (in FL) If we needed to use the bathroom, we would run to our house to do so. The outside was fairly clean, however, we did notice things over the years. Twice my brother saw a rat in the window......he was mean and asked my friend if her house was nasty and if that was the reason why we werent allowed inside.  Mom grounded him from visiting for awhile after that. I asked my friend several times why we weren't allowed inside and she would only say "dad is in the middle of construction and he is afraid you will be hurt".  I bought that excuse for years, but as we went to Jr. High, I knew it wasnt true.  Her parents were some of the best in the world, but they were never in good health it seemed for long periods of time.  After she went to high school (I was still in 8th grade at our old school), we went our separate ways shortly afterwards.  I miss my friend.  I wish I could have helped her somehow.  I spoke to her about a month ago, we talked about old times, but even as we laughed, I could see a hint of sadness in her eyes.   

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM
No, I did not. But, the past is the past and I harbor no resentment toward my parents. I am happy that I am fortunate enough to give my kids a nice, clean home and happy family life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SamiJ18: No, I did not. But, the past is the past and I harbor no resentment toward my parents. I am happy that I am fortunate enough to give my kids a nice, clean home and happy family life.

Thats great:) I agree about the past.  I don't think my friend resents her parents (I do not know for sure) because she speaks so highly of them even now.  And you can tell she really loves them and makes time to visit them whenever she can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM
It was old, but our house was clean. I always hated it because it was so cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It was embarrassing at the time, and made me obsessed with having a nice house for my kids.
Josie_P
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Yes I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Quoting Anonymous: It was old, but our house was clean. I always hated it because it was so cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It was embarrassing at the time, and made me obsessed with having a nice house for my kids.

That sounds like my childhood home.  We rented and it was a huge home but it was so outdated and cold in the winter (such as FL had) and hot as could be the rest of the year.  But it was always clean.

jlm2676
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Yes my moms house was super clean.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:54 PM

No. Our home was probably like her home really was. Its no way for a kid to grow up.

ajdahd13
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM
That's sad. Yes I did.
Grnyann65
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM

The house I grew up in was showroom spotless. We had regular daily chores, and every Saturday morning was Super Duper Day...that's what my mom called it. Deep cleaned everything....her house is still showroom spotless. Mine is definitely lived in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Clean comfortable and more than large enough for a family of 4.  We really could have used a Maid though. 3000 sq feet is considered the size that is manageable without help-we had 3800 sq feet and every weekend we all had about 5 hours worth of cleaning and chores to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN