Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Could you love an adopted child like your own?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 129 Replies

The families I know who have adopted and bio kids treat their bio kids different. They're not blatant about it but the difference is there. They do more for their bios, seem more patient with them, have a closer relationship with them. Anyone else notice anything like this? Do you think you would have the same connection with an adopted kid as you do with your bio kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
9 moms liked this

That's the saddest thing I've ever read...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM
My DH was adopted by his aunt/uncle after his mother died when he was just 6 months old. He didn't find out until he was a teen, when his older sister told him, "You know why they treat you different? You were adopted." He has a lot of issues that still cause him problems now over it and sees a counselor regularly.
quinnsmom715
by Donna on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM
6 moms liked this

i would not adopt a child if i could not love it like a bio kid.i dont think its fair to either kid..

donnag013
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM
6 moms liked this

Yes, and my adopted, step, birth and foster kids are all loved. And my adopted kids were older. I love them all so much it hurts sometimes. Like right now, when I think about how special they all are to me.

Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM
I only know one family with an adopted child and bio child and the treat the adopted child horribly and the bio child like gold.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I don't know. I guess I would have to be in that position to see. I love my neices and nephews like my own, but I do treat them different than my kids. I don't know.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I dont think that I would.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM
25 moms liked this

Here's the thing..when you adopt, they ARE YOUR OWN CHILD!!!! That comment ticks me off so much as an adoptive parent. There is NO difference at all between my girls. They are both MINE and I would die for both of them. Period.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This is how I feel and I'd like to adopt one day. I just can't afford another child now.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Here's the thing..when you adopt, they ARE YOUR OWN CHILD!!!! That comment ticks me off so much as an adoptive parent. There is NO difference at all between my girls. They are both MINE and I would die for both of them. Period.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM
5 moms liked this
I have 2 adopted and 2 bios and although I'm really glad I got to experience pregnancy (finally) I don't feel a different connection to the bios than the adopted girls. I honestly wondered if I would when I was pregnant, but I just don't. I guess that's what makes adoption such a miracle.

Even my family forgets (kind of). One of my adopted girls is allergic to peanuts and my grandpa said, "That's from this side of the family, you know."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)